Narcissa Malfoy: Good or bad?

Talk about anything to do with Harry Potter!

Moderator: Professors

Arien
First Year Student
First Year Student
Points on hand: 0.00

Narcissa Malfoy: Good or bad?

Postby Arien » May 6th, 2014, 11:05 am

This has been on my mind for ages. Is Narcissa GOOD or BAD?

I found an answer online which I pretty much agree with:

Narcissa Malfoy is an interesting character. She's kind of in suspension between good and evil. She and her husband joined Voldemort most likely because she was scared and didn't want to die. But when her son became endangered she started to realize Voldemort wasn't a good guy to hang around with. But she was in too deep to back out, so she did what was in her power to keep her son from going down the same road she did. Her saving Harry at the end, I think, wasn't just to make sure Draco was okay, but almost an act of redemption for all the bad she's done.

I think the person who answered that meant she was good :P

So, what's your opinion?
Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image Image Image

Hermione Leviosa
Order of Merlin, Second Class
Points on hand: 335.00
Pottermore Username: DragonProphecy118

Re: Narcissa Malfoy: Good or bad?

Postby Hermione Leviosa » May 6th, 2014, 9:32 pm

I agree with that as well, Arien. :) I think our environment can be very influencing as to which path we go on.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImage ImageImageImage click stamps

Emmy
M.o.M. Employee
M.o.M. Employee
Points on hand: 103.50
Pottermore Username: AurorBludger153

Postby Emmy » May 7th, 2014, 9:59 am

I had this conversation a big with another member here. I think ... after hearing his opinion... I started to think about her character a little more.

I think that... Narcissa is a cowardly and selfish character. Despite those qualities she has redeeming qualities about her... she does care about her son. It was nice seeing her care about something other than herself. I think she is cowardly because like you said she might have only joined the Death Eaters because they were scared of what would happen to them if not. Or maybe they only joined with the DE because they were power hungry.
I would like to think that toward the end she started to realize what was important in life and what wasn't... but no one can really say for sure... and selfish people might always be selfish people. She is an interesting character to think about.
“I've learned that people will forget what you said,
people will forget what you did,
but people will never forget how you made them feel.”
Image-Maya AngelouImage

Heartrose
Wizengamot Warlock
Wizengamot Warlock
Points on hand: 2,189.17
Pottermore Username: HeartRose25916

Postby Heartrose » May 13th, 2014, 1:23 pm

I think she is just selfish, I mean she only saved Harry as she wanted the war to be over so she could get herself and her family out from the Deatheaters. I do wonder if the Malfoys were still in Voldemorts favour at this time, would she have done that? If she thought they would have a better life under Voldemort, would she have stayed on his side?

Joining Voldemort in the first place is of course wrong, there is really no way to put a good slant on that, it is like Sirius says to Pettigrew in the Shrieking Shack, she should have died rather than join him.
ImageImageImageImageImage

Hermione Leviosa
Points on hand: 335.00
Pottermore Username: DragonProphecy118

Postby Hermione Leviosa » May 13th, 2014, 9:21 pm

Good points Heartrose. :) I didn't think of those things. She probably would have stayed on the "dark side" if it were beneficial to her.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImage ImageImageImage click stamps

Assassin Nero
First Year Student
First Year Student
Points on hand: 124.44
Pottermore Username: RuneLight7826

Postby Assassin Nero » May 12th, 2015, 12:29 pm

I think she lies on the bad spectrum of people. She wasn't with Voldemort because she was scared. The Malfoys were in it because they genuinely hated muggleborns and supported Voldemort ever since his first reign. She was omly disenchanted when her family was treated badly by Voldemort. That is the reasoning for her defecting. Not because she had started changing or had suddenly overcome her fear of Voldemort.
Image Image ImageImage Image

Rosaline55
Third Year Student
Third Year Student
Points on hand: 153.00

Postby Rosaline55 » October 29th, 2017, 11:09 am

Its a good question Arien. According to me, Narcissa has both her ups and downs. She wasn't a Death Eater or else I would have certainly marked her as bad but she didn't stop her son Draco from falling into the evil company of Voldemort, let alone stopping Lucius. But if she was totally wicked, she could have learnt from Harry that Draco was still alive and then inform Voldemort that Harry was not dead. She was grateful to Harry for giving her the crucial info.
:trio: -Books are the best friend of those who're lonely.- :trio:

Dia
Wizengamot Warlock
Wizengamot Warlock
Points on hand: 5,252.50
Pottermore Username: MoonFang207

Postby Dia » October 29th, 2017, 6:48 pm

I read an article on Pottermore a few weeks ago in defense of Narcissa Malfoy. Here is the link if anyone is interested: https://www.pottermore.com/features/in- ... ssa-malfoy

I don't really feel like I can say anyone is good or evil. We're all somewhere in between ya know? For what it's worth, yes, Narcissa cared about Lucius and Draco very much. She was raised to be hating of muggles and blood traitors and clearly she didn't stray from that sentiment as she grew up. This is from the article.

Narcissa may have been many things; she was cruel and distant and happy to watch her family return to Lord Voldemort’s side as he rose again, but she was also self-sacrificing; she loved her son and her husband and she thought nothing of putting herself in danger to protect them.

Most of Narcissa’s actions can be traced to her desire to protect her family at all costs. How different is Narcissa Malfoy to Molly Weasley or Lily Potter? In the end, she put love first. Although she wasn't an obvious hero, she did the right thing in the moment that mattered most.

I feel like it sums her up pretty well.
Image Image Image
I am hollow. And I miss what things might have been. ϟ Image

Rosaline55
Third Year Student
Third Year Student
Points on hand: 153.00

Postby Rosaline55 » October 30th, 2017, 6:17 am

Thanks Dia, for positing the link to that article. Been looking for that for a long time.
:trio: -Books are the best friend of those who're lonely.- :trio:

Kearstyn23
First Year Student
First Year Student
Points on hand: 52.00
Pottermore Username: Kearstyn23

Postby Kearstyn23 » February 12th, 2018, 4:10 pm

:snake: i think she is very dependant on her husband and lacks the self worth or bravery to do what she knows is right. Shes probably the type of person who acts the way everyone around her at the time is acting just so she firs in. I think deep down she is a good person, but she is scared and trapped in a life she doesnt really want.

Return to “Harry Potter Talk”