Wand Functionality Discussion

Discuss all that is Pottermore in this forum.
Beware: Information may contain spoilers about the website-Enter at your own risk.

Moderator: Professors

Hobbvots
First Year Student
First Year Student
Points on hand: 50.00
Pottermore Username: Theodore Hobbvots

Wand Functionality Discussion

Postby Hobbvots » March 27th, 2016, 1:41 am

May I start by saying that I must apologize for my lack of knowledge on the whole universe Rowling has created, but I want to learn.
I have come here to ask those who know more about all the world of magic and how to wield it.

I would like discuss the functionality of wands. I am hear to learn as I have plans for creating gaming assets in the future. My plan is to find out what elements are key in magic with wands.

My experience with magic growing up was more influenced by Tolkien, Blizzard and the Elder Scrolls, so for me the arcane arts have always been wielded raw with ones hands or with staffs enchanted. From what I have seen and what little I have read wands seem to be about quick, efficient and precise spells.
On the other hand more direct channeled spells seem to be used as well.

My hopes for content in the future is to create a game that includes all forms of magic, but I would like to do some research and discussion until the future actually comes.

How do you think wand functionality would feel. Would it be quick and precise? I hope to learn some good info and opinions.

ps: I will be buying the full set of Harry Potter for myself for Christmas.

Draconis Seeker
First Year Student
First Year Student
Points on hand: 34.00

Re: Wand Functionality Discussion

Postby Draconis Seeker » April 6th, 2016, 10:11 am

I'm not quite sure what you mean... but here are my thoughts on "wand function" in the Potter-verse - a wand is a magical tool that can amplify and direct a Wizard's innate magic through its wood (which is only obtain from certain magically enhanced trees - see Bowtruckle) and its core from a magical animal. I think that wands "lead out and enhance" what is already "in there". Which is why "the wand picks the wizard" and not the other way around. The wand itself knows what kind of magic is best for it and what kind of magic it wants to learn, and it picks a wizard that can help it achieve its potential/goals.

So, if you haven't already joined Pottermore I would suggest you do so and see what wand picks you. You can also get sorted into a House, which can also be a clue to the type of magic you will be drawn towards. There are several interesting threads here at PFF that you can look at, but I would start with these three on Pottermore https://www.pottermore.com/writing-by-jk-rowling/wand-cores, https://www.pottermore.com/writing-by-jk-rowling/wand-woods and https://www.pottermore.com/writing-by-jk-rowling/wand-lengths-and-flexibilit.

My wand is 10 3/4" Ash, Unicorn Hair, Hard - so roughly, my magic, although not the most powerful, is consistent, faithful, and not likely to turn to the Dark Arts. Its personality (and mine :)) is stubborn and courageous but not arrogant and crass.

"...Nothing to be afraid of, there's courage in there somewhere, I can see it. You're quite a curious one too. Certainly a lot of knowledge bubbling within you, but you feel some things are more important and so do I. With such a caring nature, love of people, and sense of loyalty I'm sure you will find a true home in GRYFFINDOR!!! ~ The Sorting Hat

HyperFlame
First Year Student
First Year Student
Points on hand: 0.00
Pottermore Username: HyperFlame

Postby HyperFlame » November 16th, 2016, 6:44 pm

The function of a wand is to expel energy through itself in the form of spells or enchantments which in turn can affect objects or people.

Artemisia Eolh
First Year Student
First Year Student
Points on hand: 54.00
Pottermore Username: MagicYew187

Postby Artemisia Eolh » November 24th, 2016, 10:56 pm

Draconis Seeker wrote:I think that wands "lead out and enhance" what is already "in there". Which is why "the wand picks the wizard" and not the other way around. The wand itself knows what kind of magic is best for it and what kind of magic it wants to learn, and it picks a wizard that can help it achieve its potential/goals.

Yes! Wandlore is pretty fascinating and I love trying to put together the talents of the witch or wizard based on what wood and core they have. At first I was a bit unsettled by mine. But I have grown to love it and I know it was the right choice. I am a healer IRL, so it makes sense.

Hawthorn, Phoenix core. 12.5 inches, hard flexibility.
Artemisia Eolh :ravenclaw:

Return to “Pottermore”