How do you feel about your wand?

Discuss all that is Pottermore in this forum.
Beware: Information may contain spoilers about the website-Enter at your own risk.

Moderator: Professors

Kisa
First Year Student
First Year Student
Points on hand: 0.00
Pottermore Username: ThestralHallow5944

How do you feel about your wand?

Postby Kisa » January 4th, 2014, 3:40 pm

My wand has always been Elm, Phoenix Core, 12 1/4 inches, and Hard. While reading about wand woods, cores, and lengths -- I feel like my wand really suits me. HOWEVER, I feel like the wand wood Beech fits me a little more as it is for a wise witch beyond her years, and it performs best with the open-minded and tolerant.

Though I'm quite happy with my current wand, I feel that Elm suits me 2nd best with Beech beating it out for number one. Is there anyone else here who feels the same way about their wand?

Hermione Leviosa
Order of Merlin, Second Class
Points on hand: 335.00
Pottermore Username: DragonProphecy118

Re: How do you feel about your wand?

Postby Hermione Leviosa » January 4th, 2014, 4:29 pm

My wand is Ebony, 11", rigid, with unicorn core. I was really excited when I read the characteristics of the Ebony wand. I have been going through tough battles in the muggle world (real life), so I was really hoping for a strong wand. I am short so 11" felt like a very nice length. However, I was embarrassed at getting a rigid wand and I feel the unicorn core weakened my wand.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImage ImageImageImage click stamps

Kisa
First Year Student
First Year Student

Postby Kisa » January 4th, 2014, 9:23 pm

There a pros and cons for all cores, the unicorn is the most stable and loyal -- and least likely to go bad. I think I would prefer a unicorn core to the more temperamental dragon even if it's stronger.

Hermione Leviosa
Points on hand: 335.00
Pottermore Username: DragonProphecy118

Postby Hermione Leviosa » January 4th, 2014, 10:22 pm

Thank you Kisa. :D I hadn't looked at that too well. That makes me like my wand more now.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImage ImageImageImage click stamps

EchoCrimson
Second Year Student
Second Year Student
Points on hand: 3.00
Pottermore Username: EchoCrimson1661

Postby EchoCrimson » January 10th, 2014, 1:31 pm

Mine is cherry, with a phoenix feather, 14 and 1/2 inches and quite flexible. It doesn't give as much information about what kind of personality that Cherry is give to though, although I like the fact that it is clearly stated to be a powerful wand. The utility of phoenix feather is also nice. I'm somewhat tall although I was somewhat surprised to see 14.5 in. in length, however I'm usually more attracted to flashy magic than more subtle magic so maybe I shouldn't be lol.

Incidentally I rolled another wand before where I got Black walnut... which I also liked.

Wrackspurt
Seventh Year Student
Seventh Year Student
Points on hand: 53.00
Pottermore Username: OwlStone19970

Postby Wrackspurt » January 10th, 2014, 8:44 pm

My wand is also Holly, Unicorn Hair, Slightly Springy 14.5". Somewhere on Pottermore it says that the wand length is more determined by personality, such that bigger personalities are usually paired with longer wands, so I like that.

In terms of wood and core, I'm perfectly fine with unicorn hair. It's the most loyal and stable, so really can't complain there.

The part of my wand I've always had trouble grasping is the Holly. I'm not saying it's not well suited, I just felt Pottermore was always kind of scarce on details, because it's Harry's wand wood, so they assume we should know everything about it. All it really says is that it's rare, protective, and "varies dramatically in performance depending on the wand core", then goes into this whole spiel about Holly and Phoenix Feather, which is a blatant reference to Harry, which is stuff we did already know.

I've tried to do some of my own research before, and I finally stumbled on this post: wands, which is much more helpful, even if it's not necessarily canon. At least it tries. That confirms the idea of holly being strong at protective magic, but also an overall powerful wood that's also capable of being good at DADA, charms, duelling, occlumency, and elemental magic. I know it's never mentioned in the books specifically, but I've always liked the thought of elemental magic (manipulating the four traditional elements - fire, earth, water, wind), and holly is supposedly particularly good at fire and earth spells, and I'm sure it manages the other two elements well, also.

So all that in mind, I must say I like my wand. It says unicorn hair doesn't make the most powerful spells, but it's stable and if my holly can help adjust for it, that's fine by me. It just means I'm getting the best deal on both ends.
Last edited by Wrackspurt on February 5th, 2014, 3:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
Image Image Image
ImageImageImageImage

Kisa
First Year Student
First Year Student

Postby Kisa » January 14th, 2014, 6:31 pm

I love how my wand has a phoenix feather, I love how it has the greatest range of power (though is slow to learn) - which sounds like me. Unicorn is my 2nd favorite core, and dragon heartstring is my least favorite -- it's a bit temperamental for my taste.

Britanikka
First Year Student
First Year Student
Pottermore Username: feathersun21961

Postby Britanikka » January 31st, 2014, 8:48 am

I love wand analyses!

I've seen different interpretations for a lot of wands, but never found one similar to mine, which I found rather interesting: Blackthorn with unicorn hair core, 10 inches, unyielding. What I find interesting is the combination of wood and core, since blackthorn is "best suited for a warrior", has "prodigious power", and usually found among "Aurors as well as denizens of Azkaban", while the unicorn core balances this out with less power, but is greatly consistent, and is the least likely to turn to the Dark Arts. I really like how what the wand and core have in common is great loyalty, although for the wood, you have to go through hardship to prove yourself, while the unicorn hair is just immediately loyal to its first owner. To be perfectly honest, I had plans on joining the military until I had an injury that kind of made that impossible, so I was shocked when reading about the wood. The blackthorn, I feel, really suits what I wanted to be, while, much like the core, my personality kinda tempers that wannabe soldier (I'm really not very aggressive unless in a debate or playing sports... hah?), while also showing why I /wanted/ to go into the military in the first place: loyalty to family tradition with an ideal of protecting my community. For an online quiz, it's surprisingly personal.
What's the most interesting to me though, is the folklore. Blackthorn is a symbol of ill omen, while unicorns represent purity. It's just this really weird clash.
Aside from personality, a powerful and extremely loyal wand that sacrifices some of that power for stability, I see as perfectly acceptable *thumbs up*

As for the length, I find this accurate. I'm a rather short person with a quiet personality (though as you can see, I am quite a jabber jaw when I write xD). I'm not sure what to make of the flexibility though? I like to think I'm adaptable, and I like to think I'm open to new ideas, although I admit I'll be cynical at first... but unyielding? Hmm.

Conclusion: My wand is weird, and I love it!

Ravensky
First Year Student
First Year Student
Pottermore Username: YewMist25281

Postby Ravensky » January 31st, 2014, 5:09 pm

My wand's Spruce, 14 1/4 inches, Unicorn Core, and slightly springy. I think it suits me because I'm bold, humorous, imaginative, and my personality is as big as a planet. I also don't like the dark arts a lot. And I'm tall for my age. :P In a nutshell, it fits.

McKinstry
Sixth Year Student
Sixth Year Student
Points on hand: 400,314.00
Pottermore Username: LumosSun28350

Postby McKinstry » February 3rd, 2014, 5:54 am

I like this topic!

Loved the stage in Pottermore when you answered questions and were given your wand. I got Sycamore 12 1/2 inches with Dragon core, slightly springy.

Think it suits me well enough, I love adventures and learning new things. And I'm actually making my own wand to match! The sycamore is described as "these handsome wands" on Pottermore and they really are. It's such a beautiful light coloured wood I'm loathed to paint it or do much to it. Just using clear sealer, adding one groove and a leather handle, nearly finished it.

Britanikka your definitely a Ravenclaw. I think your wand suits you, sometimes opposites attract too so I think it works if your wand's traits contrast a little. So yea, nice post :)

* Also, I wouldn't get caught up on Unicorn Hair not being as "strong" or "flamboyant" as Dragon Heartstring. In my opinion creativity and quick thinking would be far more important in using a wand rather than brute force. The likes of Dumbledore preforming spells the likes of which no one had even seen before, especially creative.

Tim

"Three things in human life are important: the first is to be kind; the second is to be kind; and the third is to be kind."
Henry James

Return to “Pottermore”