Wand Characteristics

Discuss all that is Pottermore in this forum.
Beware: Information may contain spoilers about the website-Enter at your own risk.

Moderator: Professors

HyperFlame
First Year Student
First Year Student
Points on hand: 0.00
Pottermore Username: HyperFlame

Re: Wand Characteristics

Postby HyperFlame » November 16th, 2016, 6:28 pm

Wow nice list! Helped me understand my wand better
I'm new lol

Michael Psellus
First Year Student
First Year Student
Points on hand: 53.00

Postby Michael Psellus » November 26th, 2016, 9:03 am

What combination of wood and core do you think makes for the most all-around relieable, versatile and adaptable wand? the wand you would use if you want to try many new things and experiment a lot?

I would day that it would be either Walnut+Unicorn Hair or Pine+Unicorn Haire...

Dragon Heartstrings would make the wand more powerful and a faster learner, and would make Dark Arts easier to use, but also more prone to accidents, which is bad if you want to learn and experiment many things (because of the increased risk of blowing your face off when trying an experiment).

Do we have any clue as to the relative power of Walnut and Pine wands? Could any of them compensate for the relative weakness of Unicorn Hair?

Another option would be Ebony+Unicorn Hair. I think Ebony is quite powerful, and since it is favored by non-conformists, and by both good and evil wizards, it should have some degree of versatility and adaptabiity...

ESierra05
First Year Student
First Year Student
Points on hand: 51.00
Pottermore Username: Eli Sierra

Postby ESierra05 » December 12th, 2016, 10:39 am

I have to disagree with your opinion on a brittle wand, although that may be true for some people, the word brittle has many meanings.
It can also mean cold as in uncaring. Like a brittle apology, or a brittle smile. I think it makes sense when you pair it with a cedar wand, " I would go further than my father, however, in saying that I have never yet met the owner of a cedar wand whom I would care to cross, especially if harm is done to those of whom they are fond. The witch or wizard who is well-matched with cedar carries the potential to be a frightening adversary, which often comes as a shock to those who have thoughtlessly challenged them." I know that if someone hurt my loved ones I would dispatch them without a thought. Something else I read on pottermore "Wand flexibility or rigidity denotes the degree of adaptability and willingness to change possessed by the wand-and-owner pair - although, again, this factor ought not to be considered separately from the wand wood, core and length, nor of the owner’s life experience and style of magic, all of which will combine to make the wand in question unique."

dragonhulk123
First Year Student
First Year Student
Pottermore Username: dragonhulk123

Postby dragonhulk123 » August 28th, 2017, 9:52 am

unbending flexibility?

Pamela Bode
Third Year Student
Third Year Student
Points on hand: 254.00

Postby Pamela Bode » October 11th, 2017, 5:35 am

Wow! This was so helpful!

It is the quality of one's convictions that determine success not the number of followers ~ Remus John Lupin

Antipodean Opaleye
First Year Student
First Year Student

Love this post!

Postby Antipodean Opaleye » October 18th, 2017, 1:04 pm

Hi, I love this post so much.... I totally agree about the lack of information about the flexibilties, and this post has helped me so much. I was wondering if you could add the quite bendy flexibility? Thanks a lot.

There is also no information about wand length? I know that is mainly based on the height of the witch/wizard but I still think it would be cool if that impacted the wand at all... :hogwarts:

sportshp
First Year Student
First Year Student
Points on hand: 58.00

Postby sportshp » December 13th, 2017, 9:54 am

Thanks so much for the great detail/information!

Taralee_E
First Year Student
First Year Student
Pottermore Username: Taralee Evans

Postby Taralee_E » February 4th, 2018, 9:15 pm

This is great and very detailed! However it would be nice if you added the flexibility, Quite Bendy.

Return to “Pottermore”