PFF VIP PFF Facebook Page PFF Facebook Page PFF Twitter Feed PFF T Shirts
Free 7 Day VIP Trial! - VIP Sign in with PFF Username and Password

Sorting Hat Q and A Theory (Spoilers)

Discuss all that is Pottermore in this forum.
Beware: Information may contain spoilers about the website-Enter at your own risk.

Moderator: Riverfirebolt

Sorting Hat Q and A Theory (Spoilers)

Postby GingerbreadWitch » March 24th, 2012, 7:56 pm

I was just thinking that I've seen a lot of people on the internet complaining about what House they got sorted in... and how it isn't who they are and how they don't understand because their answers seemed more "Slytherin" or more "Ravenclaw" or what have you. It doesn't look like anybody really knows how the quiz works (although, I'm pretty sure everybody has their theories... and I'm about to get into a theory of my own). Some people are worried that the Sorting Hat quiz is randomly generated or something and that accounts for the even mix of people in each House and whatnot, but others defend the Sorting Hat quiz saying that it's not randomly generated because it seems like it's more sophisticated than that... and I have to agree. I think it is more sophisticated than that.... now, I don't really know a lot about online quizzes and how they can be coded... and I don't know much about numbers and math... I just... have this general idea. Some people think the wand questions may have an influence on what House you end up sorted in, and I'm not sure if that's true or not... so, I'm not really going to be taking those questions into consideration.

Anyway, I was just thinking that maybe every answer in each question applies to EVERY House... but it's like... maybe got this point-system going on or something. Like one answer might be worth a high amount of Gryffindor points, and only a moderate amount of Slytherin and Ravenclaw points, and only a small amount of Hufflepuff points... and then it'd be different with another answer. But the point is that no one answer is SOLELY a Slytherin answer... or SOLELY a Gryffindor answer. It's all four but to varying degrees. Now, I don't know what the exact point values would be, but I think I can guess like... a general amount for each question's answers. Keep in mind this is just a theory... so, I don't think it could be considered cheating if I shared my ideas. And I do still think people should answer their questions honestly rather than answer what they think will get them into the House that they want to be in. (For me, I don't really a have that I particularly want to be in *I'm kind of hoping for Hufflepuff since it seems to get a bad rap, and I'd like to try and change that*... and I'm honestly not sure which house I'd be in, either, since I've got traits that can apply to pretty much every House. My first instinct is to say that Ravenclaw would probably be the likeliest and Gryffindor would be the least likeliest, but I honestly don't know what to expect, and I'd pretty much be happy with any House I get into.) I also think it's important to note that the Sorting Hat (in the books, I mean) doesn't just put people in Houses based on who they are... but also, on who they could be... where they can tap into their potential the most. Like how Neville really wanted to be in Hufflepuff because he didn't think he was brave enough to be in Gryffindor, but the Hat insisted on putting him in Gryffindor, anyway. So, I think that's something people should keep in mind when they get sorted and stuff.

Anyway... Here we go. If you would like me to explain my thoughts on any question, let me know. I think some of them might seem a bit obvious if you think about it, though, there may be a few I'll elaborate on myself:

How do you want to people to react when they hear you name after you’re dead?
-Miss you and smile (Hufflepuff-High, Slytherin-Moderate, Gryffindor-Moderate, Ravenclaw-Moderate-Low)
-Want to hear more stories about your adventures (Gryffindor-High, Slytherin-Moderate, Ravenclaw-Low, Hufflepuff-Low)
-Think about your achievements (Slytherin-High, Ravenclaw-High-Moderate, Gryffindor-Moderate, Hufflepuff-Low)
-I don’t care what happens when I’m dead, it’s when I’m alive that matters (Ravenclaw-High, Hufflepuff-Moderate, Gryffindor-Moderate, Slytherin-Low)

In a fire, in which order would you save a nearly perfected cure for dragon pox that the headmaster has been working on for years, student school records dating back 1000 years and Merlin’s book? (There's another variation on this question, I think)
-cure, records, book (Gryffindor-High, Hufflepuff-High, Ravenclaw-Low, Slytherin-Low)
-cure, book, records (Gryffindor-High, Ravenclaw-High, Hufflepuff-Low-Moderate, Slytherin-Low)
-records, cure, book (Hufflepuff-High, Gryffindor-Moderate, Slytherin-Low-, Ravenclaw-Low)
-records, book, cure (Slytherin-High, Hufflepuff-Moderate, Gryffindor-Low-, Ravenclaw-Low)
-book, cure, records (Ravenclaw-High, Gryffindor-Moderate-High, Slytherin-Moderate, Hufflepuff-Low)
-book, records, cure (Slytherin-High, Ravenclaw-Moderate-Low, Hufflepuff-Low, Gryffindor-Low)

This question is a little difficult to understand what order would apply to what Houses, but I think I can try and explain it. The first thing I tried to think about was what items would matter the most to each House. I imagine Gryffindor would probably put the highest importance on the cure for dragon pox but would probably have trouble deciding whether the book or the records are the next most important. Ravenclaw would put a high priority on both the book and the cure because both deserve to be studied but put a very low priority on student records. Hufflepuff would probably put a high priority on the student records and the dragon pox cure because Hufflepuff tends to be a very people-person-oriented house... so they probably think that makes the records important and the cure next most important because it could help people and/or dragons; they probably wouldn't think the book was all that important. Slytherin would believe Merlin's book (Merlin was a Slytherin) was very important as well as student records (Slytherin is also very sociable... but besides that point, Slytherins seem to find ancestry and wizarding heritage very important as well), they'd probably put lesser priority on the cure.

Which of the following would you most hate people to call you?
-Ordinary (Slytherin-High, Ravenclaw-Moderate-High, Gryffindor-Moderate-High, Hufflepuff-Low)
-Ignorant (Ravenclaw-High, Slytherin-Moderate, Gryffindor-Moderate, Hufflepuff-Moderate-Low)
-Cowardly (Gryffindor-High, Hufflepuff-Moderate-High, Slytherin-Moderate-Low, Ravenclaw-Low)
-Selfish (Hufflepuff-High, Gryffindor-Moderate-High, Ravenclaw-Moderate-Low, Slytherin-Moderate-Low)

Which would you rather be:
-Envied? (Slytherin-High, Gryffindor-Moderate-High, Ravenclaw-Moderate-High, Hufflepuff-Low)
-Imitated? (Ravenclaw-High, Hufflepuff-Moderate, Gryffindor-Moderate, Slytherin-Moderate-Low)
-Trusted? (Hufflepuff-High, Gryffindor-High, Ravenclaw-Moderate-Low, Slytherin-Moderate-Low)
-Praised? (Gryffindor-High, Ravenclaw-High, Slytherin-Moderate-High, Hufflepuff-Moderate-Low)
-Liked? (Hufflepuff-High, Gryffindor-Moderate, Slytherin-Moderate, Ravenclaw-Moderate-Low)
-Feared? (Slytherin-High, Gryffindor-Moderate, Ravenclaw-Low, Hufflepuff-Low)

Once every century, the Flutterby bush produces flowers that adapt their scent to attract the unwary. If it tried to lure you, it would smell of: (I think there's another variation on this question, too)
-A crackling log fire (Gryffindor-High, Hufflepuff-Moderate, Slytherin-Moderate-Low, Ravenclaw-Low)
-The sea (Slytherin-High, Ravenclaw-Moderate, Hufflepuff-Moderate-Low, Gryffindor-Moderate-Low)
-Fresh parchment (Ravenclaw-High, Slytherin-Moderate, Hufflepuff-Moderate-Low, Gryffindor-Low)
-Home (Hufflepuff-High, Ravenclaw-Moderate, Slytherin-Moderate-Low, Gryffindor-Moderate-Low)

Which of the following do you find the most difficult to deal with?
-Hunger (Perhaps all Houses get the same moderate amount of points on this answer)
-Cold (Gryffindor-High, Hufflepuff-High-Moderate, Slytherin-Moderate-Low, Ravenclaw-Moderate-Low)
-Loneliness (Hufflepuff-High, Slytherin-Moderate-High, Gryffindor-Moderate, Ravenclaw-Moderate-Low)
-Boredom (Ravenclaw-High, Gryffindor-Moderate-High, Slytherin-Moderate, Hufflepuff-Moderate-Low)
-Being ignored (Slytherin-High, Gryffindor-Moderate-High, Hufflepuff-Moderate-High, Ravenclaw-Moderate-Low)

So... I'm going to elaborate on this one since it might not be as obvious as some of the others. I really wasn't sure if Hunger could be associated with any House, in particular...so, I thought, maybe that answer is worth the same amount of points for each House. Cold was kind of easy since I thought about the Houses' elements. Gryffindor is associated with the Fire element, so I thought they'd probably be the most averse to being cold. I thought Hufflepuff would probably be next in line since it's an Earth element... and I was thinking about how plants, in particular, don't deal with cold well. I thought Slytherin and Ravenclaw would have an easier time of it as a water element (and a lot of water tends to be cool, in general) and Ravenclaw is an air element (air also tends to be cool, in general).

Loneliness was something I thought Hufflepuff would have the hardest time dealing with since they seem to be the most friendly and sociable House. Slytherin and Gryffindor struck me as the next Houses that would have a hard time dealing with loneliness because they're kind of sociable Houses, too. Slytherin's House Letter, in particular, leads me to believe that Slytherins are a very tight-knit group with one another, so they might find discomfort in being alone. Gryffindor is kind of the same way. I figured Ravenclaw would probably be the ones least likely to have a hard time dealing with loneliness since they probably no doubt spend hours alone reading, studying, and/or practicing their magic.

Boredom was something I figured Ravenclaws would have the hardest time dealing with since they tend to be very cerebral people and need to have their minds stimulated. I also thought that Gryffindors would have a hard time dealing with boredom because they tend to be very adventurous. Slytherin seems like it could probably deal with boredom better since they're not adventurous like Gryffindors and tend towards cowardice (so, they probably welcome a little boredom in their lifes). Hufflepuffs are very laid-back and probably don't concern themselves with worries over boredom.

Being ignored is definitely something Slytherins would have the hardest time dealing with, although, I also think Gryffindors and Hufflepuffs would find it difficult to deal with, too. Gryffindors have a penchant for being glory-seeking and probably want others to be able to recognize that. Hufflepuffs are sociable people, so the thought of being ignored probably makes them sad. Ravenclaws might have a bit of difficulty dealing with being ignored as well since they have a tendency towards arrogance and probably like to show off their intelligence... They can probably deal with being ignored better than the other Houses, though, because of a tendency towards isolating themselves in the interest of pursuing their academic interests.

Four goblets are placed before you. Which would you choose to drink?
-The foaming, frothing, silvery liquid that sparkles as though containing ground diamonds. (Slytherin-High, Ravenclaw-Moderate, Gryffindor-Moderate, Hufflepuff-Low)
-The smooth, thick, richly purple drink that gives off a delicious smell of chocolate and plums. (Hufflepuff-High, Slytherin-Moderate, Ravenclaw-Moderate, Gryffindor-Low)
-The golden liquid so bright that it hurts the eye, and which makes sunspots dance all around the room. (Gryffindor-High, Slytherin-High, Ravenclaw-Moderate, Hufflepuff-Moderate)
-The mysterious black liquid that gleams like ink, and gives off fumes that make you see strange visions. (Ravenclaw-High, Gryffindor-High, Slytherin-Moderate, Hufflepuff-Low)

The mysterious black liquid kind of seems like the kind of thing a member of Slytherin House would drink since a lot of people associate Slytherin with "darkness," but I think it might be a little trickier than that. Slytherins are also pretty careful (and some would say cowardly), and they might not be all that terribly drawn into drinking a liquid like this. Ravenclaw, on the other hand, are naturally excited by things that are "mysterious" and so, they'd probably be eager to see what the drink actually does. Gryffindors are very brave, so they'd probably be fine with downing this drink as well while Hufflepuffs would probably avoid it because of its associations with what seems "dark" and because they might be kind of wary of it. After that, the other goblets are fairly easy to figure out.

Four boxes are placed before you. Which would you try and open
-The small tortoiseshell box, embellished with gold, inside which some small creature seems to be squeaking. (Hufflepuff-High, Gryffindor-High, Ravenclaw-Moderate, Slytherin-Low)
-The gleaming jet black box with a silver lock and key, marked with a mysterious rune that you know to be the mark of Merlin. (Slytherin-High, Ravenclaw-High, Gryffindor-Moderate, Hufflepuff-Moderate)
-The ornate golden casket, standing on clawed feet, whose inscription warns that both secret knowledge and unbearable temptation lie within. (Ravenclaw-High, Slytherin-High, Gryffindor-High, Hufflepuff-Low)
-The small pewter box, unassuming and plain, with a scratched message upon it that reads ‘I open only for the worthy.’ (Gryffindor-High, Ravenclaw-High, Slytherin-High, Hufflepuff-Moderate)

Which of the following would you most like to study?
-Centaurs (Ravenclaw-High, Gryffindor-Moderate, Hufflepuff-Moderate, Slytherin-Low)
-Goblins (Hufflepuff-High, Ravenclaw-Moderate-High, Slytherin-Moderate-Low, Gryffindor-Low)
-Merpeople (Ravenclaw-High, Gryffindor-Moderate, Hufflepuff-Moderate, Slytherin-Low)
-Ghosts (Hufflepuff-High, Ravenclaw-Moderate, Slytherin-Moderate, Gryffindor-Moderate-Low)
-Vampires (Slytherin-High, Ravenclaw-Moderate, Hufflepuff-Moderate, Gryffindor-Low)
-Werewolves (Gryffindor-High, Ravenclaw-Moderate, Hufflepuff-Moderate-Low, Slytherin-Low)
-Trolls (Gryffindor-High, Ravenclaw-Moderate, Hufflepuff-Moderate-Low, Slytherin-Moderate-Low)

This one is a little hard to judge, also, I'm thinking it's entirely possible that Ravenclaw gets a high amount of points for any answer instead of a moderate amount of points, but I'm not sure. Centaurs and Merpeople seem like the likeliest highest point-gatherer for Ravenclaws since centaurs and merpeople are sentient but still tend to be very dangerous and have a highly exclusive culture (which can make gathering knowledge about them a challenge). Goblins and ghosts seem like they'd be the highest point gain for Hufflepuffs since the creatures are sentient and harmless (ghosts)/civilized (goblins when there isn't a goblin rebellion). Slytherins may find the highest interest in vampires who are sentient and generally civilized (meaning little risk but still some possibility for gain) and tend to have associations with "darkness." Gryffindor would probably find interest in creatures that are the most dangerous to study, given their penchant for bravery and facing danger hence trolls and werewolves.

A Muggle confronts you and says that they are sure you are a witch or wizard. Do you:
-Ask what makes them think so? (Hufflepuff-High, Gryffindor-Moderate-High, Ravenclaw-Moderate-High, Slytherin-Low)
-Agree, and ask whether they’d like a free sample of a jinx? (Slytherin-High, Ravenclaw-Moderate-High, Gryffindor-Moderate, Hufflepuff-Low)
-Agree, and walk away, leaving them to wonder whether you are bluffing? (Ravenclaw-High, Gryffindor-Moderate-High, Hufflepuff-Moderate-High, Slytherin-Moderate-Low)
-Tell them that you are worried about their mental health, and offer to call a doctor. (Ravenclaw-High, Gryffindor-Moderate, Slytherin-Moderate, Hufflepuff-Low)

One of your house mates has cheated in a Hogwarts exam by using a Self-Spelling Quill. Now he has come top of the class in Charms, beating you into second place. Professor Flitwick is suspicious of what happened. He draws you to one side after his lesson and asks you whether or not your classmate used a forbidden quill. What do you do?
-Lie and say you don’t know (but hope that somebody else tells Professor Flitwick the truth). (Gryffindor-High, Slytherin-Moderate, Ravenclaw-Low, Hufflepuff-Low)
-Tell Professor Flitwick that he ought to ask your classmate (and resolve to tell your classmate that if he doesn’t tell the truth, you will). (Hufflepuff-High, Gryffindor-High, Ravenclaw-Moderate, Slytherin-Moderate-Low)
-Tell Professor Flitwick the truth. If your classmate is prepared to win by cheating, he deserves to be found out. Also, as you are both in the same house, any points he loses will be regained by you, for coming first in his place. (Ravenclaw-High, Slytherin-High, Gryffindor-Moderate, Hufflepuff-Moderate)
-You would not wait to be asked to tell Professor Flitwick the truth. If you knew that somebody was using a forbidden quill, you would tell the teacher before the exam started. (Slytherin-High, Ravenclaw-High, Hufflepuff-Moderate, Gryffindor-Low)

What are you most excited to learn about at Hogwarts?
-Apparition (This could possibly be equal points amongst all the Houses, possibly in particular Hufflepuff and Ravenclaw)
-Everything magic (Slytherin-High, Ravenclaw-High, Gryffindor-Moderate-High, Hufflepuff-Moderate-Low)
-Transfiguration (Again, this could be equal points amongst the Houses, although, there may be a slight increase for Ravenclaw since transfiguration is considered a complex branch of magic)
-Flying brooms (Gryffindor-High, Slytherin-High, Hufflepuff-Moderate, Ravenclaw-Low)
-Hexes and curses (Slytherin-High, Ravenclaw-High, Gryffindor-Moderate, Hufflepuff-Low)
-Magical creatures (Hufflepuff-High, Ravenclaw-High, Gryffindor-Moderate, Slytherin-Low)
-Exploring the castle (Gryffindor-High, Hufflepuff-Moderate-High, Slytherin-Moderate, Ravenclaw-Moderate-Low)

How would you like to be known to history?
-The Wise (Ravenclaw-High, Slytherin-High, Hufflepuff-Moderate, Gryffindor-Low)
-The Good (Hufflepuff-High, Gryffindor-High, Slytherin-Low, Ravenclaw-Low)
-The Great (Slytherin-High, Gryffindor-High, Ravenclaw-Moderate-High, Hufflepuff-Moderate-Low)
-The Bold (Gryffindor-High, Hufflepuff-Moderate-High, Ravenclaw-Moderate-Low, Slytherin-Moderate-Low)

What kind of instrument most pleases your ear?
-Violin (Ravenclaw-High, Slytherin-High, Hufflepuff-Moderate, Gryffindor-Low)
-Trumpet (Gryffindor-High, Hufflepuff-Moderate-High, Slytherin-Low, Ravenclaw-Low)
-Piano (Hufflepuff-High, Slytherin-Moderate-High, Ravenclaw-Moderate-High, Gryffindor-Low)
-Drum (Gryffindor-High, Hufflepuff-Moderate, Slytherin-Moderate, Ravenclaw-Low)

If you could have any power, which would you choose?
-Read Minds (Ravenclaw-High, Slytherin-High, Gryffindor-Moderate, Hufflepuff-Moderate)
-Invisibility (Ravenclaw-High, Slytherin-Moderate-Low, Gryffindor-Moderate-Low, Hufflepuff-Low)
-Be able to talk to animals (Hufflepuff-High, Ravenclaw-Moderate-High, Gryffindor-Moderate, Slytherin-Low)
-Be able to change the past (Ravenclaw-High, Gryffindor-High, Hufflepuff-Moderate, Slytherin-Moderate)
-Be able to change your appearance (Ravenclaw-High, Slytherin-High, Gryffindor-Moderate, Hufflepuff-Low)
-Have superhuman strength (Hufflepuff-High, Gryffindor-High, Slytherin-Moderate-High, Ravenclaw-Moderate-Low)

You enter an enchanted garden. What would you be most curious to examine first?
-The silver-leafed apple tree bearing golden apples (Slytherin-High, Gryffindor-High, Ravenclaw-Moderate-High, Hufflepuff-Moderate-Low)
-The fat, red toadstools that appear to be talking to each other (Hufflepuff-High, Ravenclaw-High, Gryffindor-Moderate-High, Slytherin-Low)
-The bubbling pool in the depths of which something luminous is swirling (Slytherin-High, Gryffindor-High, Ravenclaw-Moderate, Hufflepuff-Low)
-The statue of an old wizard with a strangely twinkling eye (Slytherin-High, Ravenclaw-Moderate-High, Gryffindor-Moderate, Hufflepuff-Moderate-Low)

You and two friends need to cross a bridge guarded by a river troll who insists on fighting one of you before he will let you all pass. Do you:
-Attempt to confuse the troll into letting all three of you pass without fighting? (Ravenclaw-High, Slytherin-High, Hufflepuff-Moderate, Gryffindor-Moderate-Low)
-Suggest drawing lots to see which of you will fight? (Ravenclaw-High, Slytherin-High, Hufflepuff-Moderate, Gryffindor-Low)
-Suggest that all three of you should fight (without telling the troll?) (Slytherin-High, Gryffindor-High, Ravenclaw-Moderate, Hufflepuff-Moderate-Low)
-Volunteer to fight? (Gryffindor-High, Hufflepuff-High, Slytherin-Low, Ravenclaw-Low)

Black or white?
-Black (Slytherin-High, Ravenclaw-High, Gryffindor-Moderate, Hufflepuff-Low)
-White (Hufflepuff-High, Gryffindor-Moderate, Ravenclaw-Moderate, Slytherin-Low)

Heads or tails?
-Heads (Gryffindor-High, Slytherin-High, Ravenclaw-Moderate, Hufflepuff-Low)
-Tails (Hufflepuff-High, Ravenclaw-Moderate, Gryffindor-Moderate, Slytherin-Moderate-Low)

Dawn or dusk?
-Dawn (Hufflepuff-High, Gryffindor-Moderate, Ravenclaw-Moderate, Slytherin-Moderate-Low)
-Dusk (Ravenclaw-High, Slytherin-High, Gryffindor-Moderate, Hufflepuff-Low)

Moon or stars?
-Moon (Hufflepuff-High, Ravenclaw-High, Gryffindor-Moderate, Slytherin-Low)
-Stars (Slytherin-High, Gryffindor-High, Ravenclaw-Moderate-High, Hufflepuff-Moderate)

Forest or river?
-Forest (Hufflepuff-High, Ravenclaw-Moderate, Gryffindor-Moderate, Slytherin-Moderate)
-River (Slytherin-High, Gryffindor-Moderate, Ravenclaw-Moderate, Hufflepuff-Moderate)

Left or right?
-Left (Ravenclaw-High, Slytherin-Moderate, Gryffindor-Moderate, Hufflepuff-Low)
-Right (Hufflepuff-High, Gryffindor-High, Slytherin-Moderate, Ravenclaw-Moderate)
GingerbreadWitch
Second Year Student
Second Year Student

Your PFF Points: 0.00
PM Username: PixiePatronus22052
PM House Points: 0

Re: Sorting Hat Q and A Theory (Spoilers)

Postby RoseFirebolt77 » March 24th, 2012, 8:17 pm

Very interesting theory. I can see you've put a lot of thought into it and it makes a lot of sense. I've always kind of thought the "black or white" "left or right" etc questions were maybe to decide between your top two houses, but that may not be true because there have been some who got extra questions. .

I definitely agree that it is a more complex system than other quizzes out there. Otherwise, people would be able to easily sort themselves into their desired houses.
Image Image Image
Image Image Image
RoseFirebolt77
Honorary Member - VIP
Honorary Member - VIP
Head of Department
Head of Department

Your PFF Points: 628.70
Gringotts Point Bank: 361,000.00
PM Username: RoseFirebolt77
PM House Points: 123

Postby GingerbreadWitch » March 24th, 2012, 8:30 pm

I like to analyze the crap out of everything... and I have way too much time on my hands right now, unfortunately. *lol* But in any case, glad you enjoyed reading my theory. And yeah... It kind of seems like the questions which are choose this or this are making you choose between two Houses, and I guess that could possibly still be the case... It's hard to say with certainty, though.

Oh! I forgot to talk about hat stalls... My theory about hat stalls is that your points get tallied up, and you get two Houses that are really close in points with each other, maybe not necessarily equal but perhaps like maybe five or ten points within range of each other (I heard of someone getting a choice between three Houses once but I'm not sure if that is true or not because I haven't seen anything to confirm it, and I'm one of those pics or it didn't happen people) to choose from... which you know... is definitely making you choose which House you're going to be in.
GingerbreadWitch
Second Year Student
Second Year Student

Postby bluebran » March 24th, 2012, 8:51 pm

I truly enjoyed reading all of that! My theory was that point system too, and I've read of a few people thinking the same thing.
That's quite a thorough analysis you've made; seriously, congratulations, dude! I loved reading it and I agree with most of it.
I've re-answered all of the questions (the one's that I answered on PM and the one's that I didn't have) and I've gotten Ravenclaw again, so I think your theory may be in the right path. I even got many Hufflepuff answers (Before PM, I've always doubted between Hufflepuffs and Claws), and the last questions (the one's where you can only choose from two answers) are the ones that leaned the test more towards the eagles than the puffs...
Again, great job!
Bluebran (BatWalnut119) -
"Or yet in wise old Ravenclaw, if you've a steady mind, where those of wit and learning will always find their kind"
bluebran
Fifth Year Student
Fifth Year Student

PM Username: Batwalnut119

Postby Dia » March 24th, 2012, 8:58 pm

Love this topic! And very interesting analysis. I think you are right that it's a weighted points system. And look at the questions and answers and remembering waht I answered, it would appear I came out a Slytherin according to your info. : D

The only one I wonder about is the
In a fire, in which order would you save...

Because I would think a Slytherin would be higher than low on saving the potion first. Slytherins are always tied to Potions in HP related things. Though that could just be cause of Snape. I don't know. I know I had that question but I don't remember what I answered, only what I'd answer now.
Our mistakes do not define us; it's what we do afterwards that does.
Mon amour, sweet child of mine, you’re divine.
Didn’t anyone ever tell you it’s ok to shine?
Dia
Wizengamot Warlock
Wizengamot Warlock

Gringotts Point Bank: 0.00
PM Username: MoonFang207
PM House Points: 152

Postby EmmyK » March 24th, 2012, 10:02 pm

I loved reading this!!

I was a Hatstall kid :)

But I'm curious... on the this or that questions... how did you decide on that point system?
ImageImageImage
“I've learned that people will forget what you said,
people will forget what you did,
but people will never forget how you made them feel.”
Image-Maya AngelouImage
EmmyK
Professor - VIP
Professor - VIP
M.o.M. Employee
M.o.M. Employee

Your PFF Points: 43.42
Gringotts Point Bank: 11,136.53
PM Username: AurorBludger153

Postby GingerbreadWitch » March 25th, 2012, 1:22 am

I think that was just Snape really... I don't think Slytherins have any tendency towards potion-making one way or another. In any case, I do think they would put a lower priority on the cure compared to student records and Merlin's book... I mean, they'd still try and save the cure... it just wouldn't be as top on the list as Merlin's book (Merlin, who was a Slytherin and considered one of the greatest wizards of all time) and student records (which would be very helpful in regards to determining wizarding heritage and ancestry and stuff). As for the This or That, my reasoning goes like this?

Black or White?

I was thinking of black or white in terms of morality. Light vs. Darkness and such... I thought that Slytherins and Ravenclaws would probably be the most prone to "giving in" to their darker natures whereas Gryffindors have a slightly less chance. Hufflepuffs, of course, at the least likely to "give in" to their darker natures (it isn't impossible; just unlikely). And of course, naturally, Gryffindors and Hufflepuffs are more embracing of their "good" sides... Ravenclaws would be next in line regarding that (since they tend to be very open-minded individuals), and Slytherins would be least likely (again, not impossible) because they don't really like to be constrained by doing what is "good" they want to do what is "best" (mostly for themselves, but it can be for others, too... and they have a "whatever it takes" mentality, to boot, that exacerbates that).

Heads or Tails?

This one was kind of tricky, and I'm still not very sure about (I'm notoriously indecisive). Heads or Tails is so well-known for being a flip-a-coin 50/50 chance thing. So, I kind of want to do an even-split where two houses are most definitely heads and two houses are most definitely tails. (First instinct would be Heads is a higher chance for Ravenclaws and Gryffindors and Tails would be a higher chance for Slytherins and Hufflepuffs)...But I really can't decide which would be which really, especially when I start trying to analyze it. Ravenclaws seem like they would be "Heads" because they're ruled by their "head" in a way... but looking at it from another perspective, it doesn't seem like Ravenclaws would strongly prefer heads over tails either way (hence me giving them a "moderate" amount of points for both) because they'd see it as a probability thing 50-50, so they'll just go along with the whole 50-50 thing themselves. As for Slytherins, they're kind of hard to judge, too... I want to give them "heads" because it's generally thought of as the top of the coin, "the head..." AHEAD... which is what Slytherins want to be, so I think they would strongly prefer heads... but then.... tails (as in the animal kind) are kind of associated with snakes... and also, they're the type to go against the grain of what's normally expected and such. The only thing I'm really sure about is that Gryffindors would probably strongly prefer heads (for some of the same reasons Slytherins do)... and Hufflepuffs would probably strongly prefer tails (because usually, it's the last thing called for a coin... "HEADS!" "TAILS!" and Hufflepuff is known for taking what is leftover).

Dawn or dusk?

This one is fairly simple to explain. I imagine "Dawn" would be most attractive to Hufflepuffs because dawn tends to be a signal of hope, the day rising against the night, and they kind of seem like day people besides. I imagine Gryffindors might be strongly associated with the dawn, too, especially given their fire element (close ties with the sun and all), but I kind of amended that idea in a way because I imagine dusk might be a really good time for adventuring... and being around while the light is going out could be seen as bravery. Ravenclaws I associated with dusk because I can see them pulling all-nighters (plus, I think the dusk might be more attractive to them because darkness tends to be associated with "mystery" and the "unknown), but I gave them moderate points on dawn because... well... I could see them being up until the crack of dawn, too. Slytherin seem like night people to me, too, probably for some of the same reasons Ravenclaws are (all-nighters because of their ambitious drives and darkness being "unknown" etc.), but I wasn't sure about them not having moderate points in dawn because I can see them finding appeal in the rising sun... they want to rise, too.

Moon or stars?

Hmm... can't remember why I put Gryffindor down as moderate for moon, I think I would've put them down for low for moon. Anyway, I could see Hufflepuff being more drawn to the moon than the stars because they're not concerned with being "stars" and because they would probably take comfort in something that seems so constant (and a round, spherical shape tends to be kind of pleasing because... no harsh, sharp edges and stuff). Ravenclaws would probably be equally interested in both the stars and the moon as astronomical objects; I kind of get the feeling that they might lean more towards the moon because it's always inspired the most mystery and awe... and especially when you think about how often the moon is utilized when referring to magical things and such. I thought Gryffindor and Slytherin would find the most appeal in stars, as they generally want to be "stars" themselves.

Forest or river?

Hufflepuff has strong associations with the Earth element, so, it was a no-brainer giving them high points for the forest. Likewise, Slytherin is associated with the Water element, and so it would be strongly inclined towards rivers more so than forests. Actually, thinking about it now... I'm not sure why I gave the other Houses moderate designations... I'm actually pretty sure Gryffindor would prefer the forest over the river (as water and fire don't mix well obviously), and Ravenclaws would probably prefer the river since it's out in an open-space where they can "fly freely" rather than having to encounter trees and roots and gnarls in their path all the way through.

And I'm very tired now... *lol* Gonna go to bed... but thank you for your interest! And again, welcome any questions or discussions or further thoughts... even arguments as long as they're civil.
GingerbreadWitch
Second Year Student
Second Year Student

Postby Hermione Leviosa » March 25th, 2012, 8:52 am

This is really good Ginger! :D I found this to be very interesting to read.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
click=>ImageImageImageImage
Hermione Leviosa
Order of Merlin, Third Class
Order of Merlin, Third Class

Your PFF Points: 658.54
Gringotts Point Bank: 250,960.35
PM Username: DragonProphecy118

Postby Dia » March 25th, 2012, 10:58 am

GingerbreadWitch wrote:I think that was just Snape really... I don't think Slytherins have any tendency towards potion-making one way or another. In any case, I do think they would put a lower priority on the cure compared to student records and Merlin's book... I mean, they'd still try and save the cure... it just wouldn't be as top on the list as Merlin's book (Merlin, who was a Slytherin and considered one of the greatest wizards of all time) and student records (which would be very helpful in regards to determining wizarding heritage and ancestry and stuff). As for the This or That, my reasoning goes like this?

Hm, maybe. I mean, I only know the way I perceive it. I'd take the potion first because the potion can be used for a higher purpose (healing people) unlike the records or Merlin's book. I don't think the book could do anything. The records could be used heritage like said, I suppose, but it would be the second I'd take. But ah well. You're probably right. Perhaps my Slytherin didn't come out on that one. It would seem that taking the cure first would be the more Ravenclaw or Hufflepuff answers
Our mistakes do not define us; it's what we do afterwards that does.
Mon amour, sweet child of mine, you’re divine.
Didn’t anyone ever tell you it’s ok to shine?
Dia
Wizengamot Warlock
Wizengamot Warlock

Gringotts Point Bank: 0.00
PM Username: MoonFang207
PM House Points: 152

Postby Aspy » March 26th, 2012, 10:46 am

Thank you Ginger! For sharing such a well developed theory- that make sense too. It must have taken a lot of time and effort. I've always wondered how the hat does it, but couldn't even remember which questions I answered!
Aspy
Unspeakable
Unspeakable

Your PFF Points: 22.29
Gringotts Point Bank: 169,253.22
PM Username: RiverAsphodel72
PM House Points: 217

Next

Return to Pottermore