Wand Form

Discuss all that is Pottermore in this forum.
Beware: Information may contain spoilers about the website-Enter at your own risk.

Moderator: Professors

Merlins Apprentice
First Year Student
First Year Student
Points on hand: 3.00

Wand Form

Postby Merlins Apprentice » November 13th, 2016, 1:00 pm

Hi Guys

I was just wondering if anyone knows about how wands take their form. are the wands in their final form when you first get them from the wand maker, or do they change based on your personality once you get them, or does thee owner have to make a concious decisions to change the outwards appearances.

Looking at wands they tend to be neutrally formed for younger wizards, while older wizards have more persnalized forms ie Voldemort and Bellatrix. Harry, Ron, and Hermionies wands also change over time.

thanks

Merlins Assistant

Hermione Leviosa
Order of Merlin, Second Class
Points on hand: 335.00
Pottermore Username: DragonProphecy118

Re: Wand Form

Postby Hermione Leviosa » November 14th, 2016, 6:44 pm

Hi Merlins Apprentice. Welcome to PFF. You have an interesting question. I can't say I have the answer, however, Ollivander spoke of wands as if they had feelings. Humans are controlled a lot by feelings and feelings do change. I don't see where wands change their appearance/form. Do you have a reference where wands change their appearance/form?
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImage ImageImageImage click stamps

Merlins Apprentice
First Year Student
First Year Student
Points on hand: 3.00

Postby Merlins Apprentice » November 19th, 2016, 11:57 am

I don't have any reference for them changing their appearance, but Dracos wand is described as being black, sleek and identical to his fathers, so i was wondering if a, they had a distinct shape, b if that shape is reflective of personality and c, whether this physical reflection is established before or after the wand chooses the wizard.

its more of a hypothetical question than anything else

thanks

Merlins Apprentice

Hermione Leviosa

Postby Hermione Leviosa » November 19th, 2016, 6:59 pm

That is very interesting. :) I wonder if there is physical appearance has a correlation to the wizard too.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage

Cora Ticum
Seventh Year Student
Seventh Year Student
Points on hand: 11,805.00
Pottermore Username: VineUnicorn20895

Postby Cora Ticum » November 20th, 2016, 3:46 am

I think you make a very interesting point about the adults having more personalized wands. I never thought of that, but it's true that Voldemort, Lucius, Bellatrix, etc. have more elaborate wands,whereas the kids' wands are relatively plain.
However, I noticed that it's mainly the handles that change. It could be that these wear out after some time and that when wizards want to repair them they have a say in the look of the handle. It's mainly the wood and the core that are important for magical reasons, so I believe it could be possible for wizards and witches to replace their handles after some time and change the look a bit.
About the general look of the wand; I think it could be that certain looks work better for different personalities and that these are established before the wand chooses the wizard. However, it could be that wizards also have the option to dye or varnish their wand wood. Lucius and Draco have black wands, but their respective wand woods (elm and hawthorn) are not that dark in color, so their wands must have been coloured in some way. We don't know if that happened before their wands chose them or after, but I do think that some customizing on the wand is possible, so long as the wood and core are not damaged in the process.
The real things haven't changed. It is still best to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasures and to be cheerful and have courage when things go wrong. - Laura Ingalls Wilder
ImageImageImage

Hermione Leviosa

Postby Hermione Leviosa » November 21st, 2016, 10:09 pm

That makes a lot of sense Cora.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage