Your best zoo experience

Gather here at The Hog's Head to discuss whatever off "Pottermore" topic interests you may have. Meet with the other forum members and have a chat at the pub.

Moderator: Professors

Caronis Tarrenarm
Second Year Student
Second Year Student
Points on hand: 145.00

Your best zoo experience

Postby Caronis Tarrenarm » September 28th, 2017, 4:47 am

My best zoo experience happened in early 2011. My local zoo had recently celebrated the arrival of a new baby female Orang-utan. Four Indonesian names were chosen and the public were asked to vote for their favourite name. I voted for the name Dewi (pronounced 'Day-we') meaning "goddess", and was surprised when I got a call from the zoo a few weeks later to say I was among the small group of winners. The prizes were tickets to a Zoo Twilights concert, a photo opportunity with the Asian elephants and a Roar 'n' Snore zoo camp experience.

Whilst the concert wasn’t awfully exciting, I did enjoy the photo opportunity with the elephants. As for the overnight camp, the weather was dreadful (it rained all night), but we all got a nice dinner before heading out on a night tour. Besides getting to see lots of animals visitors don't normally see during the day, we also stopped by the lion exhibit and it was quite deafening to hear all the lions roaring at the same time.

For me, however, the best thing happened the following day. My mum and I were heading for home and decided to stop by the Orang-utan exhibit on the way out. We were the only people there when Dewi's mum came to one of the windows and allowed us to see and take photos of her new baby.

Return to “The Hog's Head”