Crazy things found by airport security

Gather here at The Hog's Head to discuss whatever off "Pottermore" topic interests you may have. Meet with the other forum members and have a chat at the pub.

Moderator: Professors

Caronis Tarrenarm
Second Year Student
Second Year Student
Points on hand: 154.00

Crazy things found by airport security

Postby Caronis Tarrenarm » September 25th, 2017, 7:03 pm

What are some of the strange, crazy or dangerous things that security at your local airport have found in passengers' luggage?

Caronis Tarrenarm
Second Year Student
Second Year Student

Re: Crazy things found by airport security

Postby Caronis Tarrenarm » September 26th, 2017, 7:41 am

It's amazing the kinds of things people will try to get through airport security. Not sure what year it was, but here in Australia, a woman at Melbourne Airport was found to be wearing a specially-designed apron containing no less than 50 tropical fish.

Cora Ticum
Seventh Year Student
Seventh Year Student
Points on hand: 11,805.00
Pottermore Username: VineUnicorn20895

Postby Cora Ticum » September 28th, 2017, 12:32 pm

That is very weird Caronis. Who would ever think that gets past security?

I am always very careful I don't have anything in my bag that isn't allowed, as I never want to leave anything behind. Once I have tried to get a carrot cake with me; they looked a bit weird at it and scanned it a few times, but it was allowed in the end.
This year when I went to the US some people in my security row had all sorts of liquid with them. They of course weren't allowed to take it with them, but since they barely spoke English it was very hard to make it clear to them.
The real things haven't changed. It is still best to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasures and to be cheerful and have courage when things go wrong. - Laura Ingalls Wilder
ImageImageImage

Caronis Tarrenarm
Second Year Student
Second Year Student

Postby Caronis Tarrenarm » September 28th, 2017, 8:13 pm

It can be a bit of a problem when the passengers can't speak English. Usually whilst you're still on the plane, you're given a little card asking if you've got anything to declare and, unless I'm wrong, non-English speaking passengers are given cards written in their own language (so you'd assume that they understand what the card is asking them). This is why I enjoy watching shows like Border Security Australia, especially when Customs find a passenger who's concealing large amounts of undeclared food in their luggage.

Besides food, weapons and illegal drugs, people also try to smuggle various animals in and out of certain countries. In 2010, a woman at Bangkok International Airport, Thailand, caught the attention of security because she had an incredibly large suitcase. When customs finally got to open it, they got quite a shock. Nestled among a pile of clothes and stuffed toys was....a heavily-sedated 2-month old tiger cub. The woman eventually admitted she'd been planning to sell the cub on the Iranian black market. Fortunately the story has a happy ending: the cub went to live at a wildlife park where it will be properly cared for.

Return to “The Hog's Head”