What do you know about Cone Snails?

Gather here at The Hog's Head to discuss whatever off "Pottermore" topic interests you may have. Meet with the other forum members and have a chat at the pub.

Moderator: Professors

Rosaline55
Third Year Student
Third Year Student
Points on hand: 133.00

Re: What do you know about Cone Snails?

Postby Rosaline55 » October 21st, 2017, 8:02 am

Yes, You are right,the patterns are not clearly visible but they are very pretty all the same.Thanks :D
ImageImage
-The greatest mistake is the mistake from which we learn nothing.

Pamela Bode
Second Year Student
Second Year Student
Points on hand: 178.00

Postby Pamela Bode » October 22nd, 2017, 2:42 am

Caronis Tarrenarm wrote:Hooray, it worked! My avatar picture now shows my cone snail shell collection. Unfortunately, because I've had to shrink it, you can't see how beautifully-patterned the shells are. Is there any way I can insert a larger photo onto this thread so the shells can be seen in more detail?

Well, I don't think so, but atleast your pictue is visible. Its a tiring job, cropping, isn't it? I am very bad at photo editting, but you can ask someone who knows. Anyway Congratulations!!! :D :D
The stories we love best do live in us forever, so whether you come back by page or by big screen, Hogwarts will always be there to welcome you home.

Caronis Tarrenarm
Second Year Student
Second Year Student
Points on hand: 141.00

Postby Caronis Tarrenarm » October 22nd, 2017, 3:47 am

It was irritating trying to get the photo down to the right size so I could use it.

Alien Iris
Third Year Student
Third Year Student
Points on hand: 9.00
Pottermore Username: ErisedEcho895

Postby Alien Iris » October 23rd, 2017, 7:52 pm

Hey, just a random suggestion, but I've signed up for imgur to post photos of larger size. So its not just photobucket. As far as I can tell the main requirement is that the photo has to have a link, which you put in an image bracket thing.
ImageImageImage

Caronis Tarrenarm
Second Year Student
Second Year Student

Postby Caronis Tarrenarm » October 24th, 2017, 12:32 am

I was thinking of possibly using a website called TinyPic. Do you have to pay to use these photo sharing websites? I've heard Photobucket have quietly introduced a $400 annual fee for users who want to put their photos on other websites.

Caronis Tarrenarm
Second Year Student
Second Year Student

Postby Caronis Tarrenarm » November 11th, 2017, 6:28 pm

Here are some links to photos of live specimens of the Cloth of Gold Cone, the Marbled Cone and the Geography Cone.

http://tinyurl.com/ybkh4ks3
http://tinyurl.com/y795oddw
http://tinyurl.com/yaf6pheg

Pamela Bode
Second Year Student
Second Year Student
Points on hand: 178.00

Postby Pamela Bode » December 5th, 2017, 9:31 am

Caronis Tarrenarm wrote:http://tinyurl.com/yaf6pheg

Just saw a picture of the Conus Geographus, must say though they are dangerous, their pictures are really fascinating! :)
The stories we love best do live in us forever, so whether you come back by page or by big screen, Hogwarts will always be there to welcome you home.

Rosaline55
Third Year Student
Third Year Student
Points on hand: 133.00

Postby Rosaline55 » December 7th, 2017, 9:58 am

Well, all of the Cones are so.......can't think of a correct word :lol: but kind of impeccable. The pattern on their shells are flawlessly beautiful.
ImageImage
-The greatest mistake is the mistake from which we learn nothing.

Caronis Tarrenarm
Second Year Student
Second Year Student

Postby Caronis Tarrenarm » December 11th, 2017, 3:10 am

That's the problem. Since the shells are so beautifully-patterned, people are attracted to them and will pick them up, which is likely to result in being stung. Roughly thirty people have died from Cone Snail stings and there's no anti-venom. If you get stung, just hope that you can stay alive long enough for the venom to wear off. After doing work experience at a pet store that sold a number of marine animals, I wondered if it would be legal for people to keep Cone Snails in home aquariums. I emailed my local museum to ask and the guy who replied said that he doesn't know of any law preventing it, though it's illegal to take the animals out of the wild. Along as the necessary precautions are taken, Cone Snails would make an interesting addition to an aquarium. He also told me that, whilst on a recent diving trip with friends, he'd found a very large and very much alive Geography Cone in the pocket of his dive vest. Apparently, a friend who'd worn the vest on a previous dive had found the snail and, not knowing what it was, had picked it up and put it in his pocket.

Return to “The Hog's Head”