The banned baby names thread.

Gather here at The Hog's Head to discuss whatever off "Pottermore" topic interests you may have. Meet with the other forum members and have a chat at the pub.

Moderator: Professors

Cora Ticum
Seventh Year Student
Seventh Year Student
Points on hand: 11,782.00
Pottermore Username: VineUnicorn20895

Re: The banned baby names thread.

Postby Cora Ticum » April 1st, 2017, 2:43 am

Interesting thread! I often visit name sites and blogs to search for names I can give to characters. Sometimes parents give their children such embarrassing names! It's interesting to see how sometimes even pretty normal names are banned.

I'm from The Netherlands and quite a lot of names are allowed here (including strange characters and spelling), unless it's something very wrong like Hitler or such. Dutch surnames are also not allowed as given names, but foreign surnames are. Some names that are also nouns can be rejected, but that depends on the person who registers the name; since there are no very clear rules on this, some of them might give a pass whereas others reject the name.
In my direct environment I have come to know some strange 'noun names' that have been accepted: Splinter (chip), Vlinder (butterfly), Zusje (little sister), Rover (thief), Droom (dream), Liefde (love), Held (Hero), Stoer (tough), Uniek (unique). Some of them are even starting to become quite accepted here.
The real things haven't changed. It is still best to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasures and to be cheerful and have courage when things go wrong. - Laura Ingalls Wilder
ImageImageImage

Bren
Wizard/Witch
Wizard/Witch
Points on hand: 8,991.00
Pottermore Username: CentaurPatronus2539

Postby Bren » April 1st, 2017, 10:24 am

I think the only restriction in the UK is that you can't name a baby starting with a number such a 4. looks like we're much more liberal than most places.
ImageImage
Image Image ImageImageImage

Pamela Bode
Second Year Student
Second Year Student
Points on hand: 101.00

Postby Pamela Bode » October 12th, 2017, 5:43 am

Caronis Tarrenarm wrote:The name Hermione is banned in Mexico and a few years ago there was an infamous baby-naming incident when a New Zealand couple named their daughter "Tallulah Does The Hula From Hawaii". No surprise, the poor kid found this name very embarrassing. Fortunately, she was able to get her name changed.

One more thing: If you live in Saudi Arabia, don't even think of naming your daughter "Linda", "Elaine", "Laura", "Sandy", "Alice" or "Lauren". All these names are banned.

I am glad I'm not a Mexican and I don't live in Saudi Arabia!
The stories we love best do live in us forever, so whether you come back by page or by big screen, Hogwarts will always be there to welcome you home.

Pamela Bode
Second Year Student
Second Year Student
Points on hand: 101.00

Postby Pamela Bode » October 12th, 2017, 5:47 am

I am an Indian, and as far as I know, no names are banned in India.
The stories we love best do live in us forever, so whether you come back by page or by big screen, Hogwarts will always be there to welcome you home.

Rosaline55
Second Year Student
Second Year Student
Points on hand: 357.00

Postby Rosaline55 » October 12th, 2017, 11:06 pm

Does anyone know why the name 'Hermione' is banned in Mexico :( ?
In India an incident was reported in the newspaper which mentioned that a couple named Savitri and Tannan sent a letter to the Prime Minister, appealing to him to suggest a name for their new born daughter. Surprisingly, the PM sent an answer back and suggested that they named their daughter Savita because the name Savita contains both the mother's and father's name .
ImageImage
-The greatest mistake is the mistake from which we learn nothing.

Caronis Tarrenarm
Second Year Student
Second Year Student
Points on hand: 134.00

Postby Caronis Tarrenarm » October 14th, 2017, 12:36 am

Hermione is banned in the Mexican state of Sonora in an effort to prevent children being bullied. Parents living in this state are also banned from using the names 'Harry Potter' and 'James Bond' because they are considered to be fictional characters.

Return to “The Hog's Head”