Meet Estonia

Pottermore is world wide so please have open discussions from other users from yer country and see how they are progressing in the game. There may be differences with the versions depending on where you live.

Moderator: Professors

belith
Fourth Year Student
Fourth Year Student
Points on hand: 0.00
Pottermore Username: SpiritElm25684

Meet Estonia

Postby belith » September 8th, 2012, 10:33 pm

Hey guys!

I got an interesting idea (well, that is what working nights does to ya! xD ). I remember when I felt like I was the only Estonian wondering the interweb, and where ever I was asked where I was from and I gave them the answer that I was from Estonia, I had to explain, that Estonia is not a brand of tea, nor is it a sandwich, and give the exact coordinates to it's location. Those times are mostly over, there's already four of us here. Which is a lot!
Presenting us Estonians:
Slytherin - Riv; Ravenclaw - StrikeProphecy; Gryffindor - AurorCastle12443; Hufflepuff - meh, Belith! ^^;

So, I thought, why no make a little thread about our country, it's culture, quirks, random facts, songs, etc. Maybe some pictures or tales or what not make you want to come visit our sweet small Eastern European country - The Republic of Estonia.

Basically what this thread is, is a place that we post something interesting about our country. You can join in and comment and have fun and what not.

I'll start with a short basic history of Estonia.

We are here:

Our flag is a horizontal tricolor of blue-black-and-white:
Blue - for the sky above us
Black - for the dirt beneath our feet
White - for the hope we have

Estonia
Population 1.29 million
The capital and largest city is Tallinn.

We regained our independence from the Soviet Union in 1991, so we're still very young! ^^;

Well, I gotta start with something nice, about Estonia, like a nice song, so you wouldn't leave after this brief dull history lesson... (sorry about that, 'twas just an introduction. :D)

Here is a pretty song with what Estonia took part in the Eurovision Song Contest in 2009. It is very pretty and in Estonian. :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cP49Ib8n4Bc

Hope you stick around! ^^ Also, if you want a phrase translated into Estonian or want to know something or what not, you can ask here. :)
ImageImage

Glowmoonstone182
Fourth Year Student
Fourth Year Student
Pottermore Username: Glowmoonstone182

Re: Meet Estonia

Postby Glowmoonstone182 » September 9th, 2012, 6:36 am

Nice to know where others come from.

belith
Fourth Year Student
Fourth Year Student

Postby belith » September 9th, 2012, 6:57 am

Do you like the song? :)

Found a page about Estonia, for tourists. Visit Estonia

And a funny video our News Broadcast made :) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_xEHUKvIkE
ImageImage

AurorCastle12443
First Year Student
First Year Student
Pottermore Username: AurorCastle12443

Postby AurorCastle12443 » September 9th, 2012, 10:41 am

Haha, that kind of a topic seems nice, I'll see whether I have anything else to had here. Anyway, I wasn't aware of the Simpsons video, so it was interesting for me to watch as well. I made a text about Estonia for my international friends, but it's not finished yet, so I will add it later.
And also a very good song by an Estonian band - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddCsOTWz7gI

Riv
Order of Merlin, Third Class
Points on hand: 22.19
Pottermore Username: WildRiver35
Location: Sneaking around the Ministry on an undercover job from RWP

Postby Riv » September 9th, 2012, 3:15 pm

Finally! A topic for others to see where we come from! :) Welcome to Estonia, everyone! ;)
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImage
Slytherin ExtraordinaireNo.1 Fan of the Slytherin PrinceEstonian For Life
~Writing ~ Tumblr~

belith
Fourth Year Student
Fourth Year Student

Postby belith » September 9th, 2012, 4:13 pm

Yeah, I thought it would be cool. I hope it'll be as fun as I visualized it.

Do you, Estonians, get what I'm going for here? :D

Something random right off the top of my head. Funny Estonian words:
The longest word we have, that reads the same from right to left and left to right - KUULILENNUTEETUNNELILUUK. The direct translation to that word would be something like: the latch of the tunnel the bullet flies from
KUUL - bullet
LENNUTEE - flightpath
TUNNEL - tunnel
LUUK - latch

And another weird word we have - veoauto, which means 'truck'. It has 4 vowels straight.
ImageImage

Raytoria
M.o.M. Employee
M.o.M. Employee
Points on hand: 4.00
Pottermore Username: HollyWalnut12268

Postby Raytoria » September 10th, 2012, 4:26 am

I love finding out things about other people's countries. Very interesting indeed bel!
So is English your 2nd language?
Image Image Image

belith
Fourth Year Student
Fourth Year Student

Postby belith » September 10th, 2012, 6:05 am

Well, for me it is. In Estonia, unofficially Russian is the other language, since we have a lot of russians here. Most stayed after estonia gained its independence back. Some of the russians are very.. mean.

But i do love that i speak english so fluently. :D wish my russian was better, too :p

By the way, i'm glad you like this idea, ray! ^^;
ImageImage

Riv
Points on hand: 22.19
Pottermore Username: WildRiver35
Location: Sneaking around the Ministry on an undercover job from RWP

Postby Riv » September 10th, 2012, 6:11 am

English is my second mother tongue :D I use it every day and I think in it most of the time ;)
Yes, it is true that I should know russian better, I've learned it for 6 years (3 years more than german, which I speak quite freely now) and still can say only basic words or ask what the time is :D It's just a really difficult language, what with all the cyrillic alphabet and stuff...

Another great word from our language: "Kirstuvõti". It means "the key for the chest". It seems like a usual word, but in actuality it contains the longest row of letters taken from our alphabet: r s t u v õ .

õ is a really special letter, it only really exists in our language (and in the cyrillic in russian as well, but that is a different story) and is used every day in a lot of words. Check out this Wikipedia page, it'll give you more information. Unfortunately it doesn't have a sound file for you to hear how we pronounce it, but you can more or less get the picture when you do the sound "Ugh". The sound comes from the back of the throat, it's quite similar to "Ö" (oe for english-speakers), but whilst pronouncing "Ö" your lips make a sort of a tunnel, then when pronouncing "Õ" the lips are slightly pulled back from the teeth, making it look a bit like you're snarling xD No kidding, though. Try it out :P
ImageImageImage
Slytherin ExtraordinaireNo.1 Fan of the Slytherin PrinceEstonian For Life
~Writing ~ Tumblr~

belith
Fourth Year Student
Fourth Year Student

Postby belith » September 10th, 2012, 6:33 am

Aha! *claps hands* I even didn't know about the 'chestkey'. I learn new stuff too

And thats a pretty good explanation of our cool letter, which i don't have here on my phone. :p
'ugh' does sound like it.
ImageImage

Return to “International Discussion”