Translations of Pottermore names

Pottermore is world wide so please have open discussions from other users from yer country and see how they are progressing in the game. There may be differences with the versions depending on where you live.

Moderator: Professors

Rumbleroar
Wizengamot Warlock
Wizengamot Warlock
Points on hand: 1.00
Pottermore Username: SrebrnaJeka22

Re: Translations of Pottermore names

Postby Rumbleroar » July 26th, 2012, 12:22 pm

Ooh, please could you translate mine into Chinese, Aspy? If it isn't too much trouble?
I'm EchoSilver22.

Aspy
Unspeakable
Unspeakable
Points on hand: 0.00
Pottermore Username: RiverAsphodel72

Postby Aspy » July 26th, 2012, 2:03 pm

OK here goes:
Echo is one of the words that can mean many things in Chinese, and they really mean pretty much the same thing. Or I can't tell the difference :P
迴聲銀22 (pronounced: hui sheng yin) I suppose this translation of 'echo" means more of the echo of sounds
or it can be
迴響銀22 (pronounced: hui xiang yin) while this is referring to the echo of noise -- this isn't a negative word though. More like neutral.
or it can be
回音銀22 (pronounced: hui yin yin) --- for the yin yin here, they are actually pronounced with different tones, which makes a big difference in the meaning :) Also, this is more like the echo of a certain melody.

Hope you like it :D

The difficult thing about translating pottermore names is that it looks really weird and doesn't make sense at all in Chinese most of the time. In Chinese, complicated vocabularies of are formed by pairing certain characters together. And certain characters simply can't be put next to each other without other words in between them... it just doesn't make sense, because putting words together changes both character's original meanings...

But it's also very very fun :D

ShadowLarsie
Seventh Year Student
Seventh Year Student
Points on hand: 0.00
Pottermore Username: ShadowShield1374

Postby ShadowLarsie » July 3rd, 2013, 11:02 am

Can you make anything out of mine (check my profile)? xD
-Larsie1 :gryffindor: :hogwarts: ------ :lion: ------ :snitch: :snitch: :snitch: ------ :lion: ------ :hogwarts: :gryffindor:
Reading, Writing, Gaming, Pottering = LARSIE!
Image Image Image Image

Return to “International Discussion”