Translations of Pottermore names

Pottermore is world wide so please have open discussions from other users from yer country and see how they are progressing in the game. There may be differences with the versions depending on where you live.

Moderator: Professors

PotionScale
Wizengamot Warlock
Wizengamot Warlock
Points on hand: 0.00
Pottermore Username: PotionScale190

Re: Translations of Pottermore names

Postby PotionScale » May 6th, 2012, 6:10 am

Luckily they didn't change names of characters when they translated the books in Croatian (although, they did translate names of animals)

Pumpkin, did you use google translate for those?

Hermine Granger :lol: Sounds weird XD

Aspy, I can see chinese characters (on Firefox). I'm curious, are there no chinese characters for numbers?
Can you translate my name please? I'm really interested in how it would look :)

Novohl, your name in Croatian would be ValDuh (but it sounds much better in Dutch :D )

Lava, in Croatian your name would be KljučKamena (I'm wondering if you guys can see this... There should be k-l-j-u and then c with a little tick above it?)
Image Image Image Image Image

DawnPumpkin33
Deputy Headmaster - Honorary Member - VIP
Points on hand: 14,760.00
Pottermore Username: DawnPumpkin33

Postby DawnPumpkin33 » May 6th, 2012, 12:46 pm

PotionScale wrote:Lava, in Croatian your name would be KljučKamena (I'm wondering if you guys can see this... There should be k-l-j-u and then c with a little tick above it?)

I can see them all! I'm on Chrome... Chrome and Firefox seem to show all the characters well.

I love my username translations :D

Aspy, could you also do mine?? I'm curious now after seeing everyone elses! Thanks :D

Aspy
Unspeakable
Unspeakable
Pottermore Username: RiverAsphodel72

Postby Aspy » May 6th, 2012, 1:24 pm

Lava wrote:
Nevohl wrote:This is interesting! I wonder what Waveghost would translate to in another language...

Wave Ghost =
Dutch - Golf Spook
Cheers!

Golf Spook... Hahah!

I can just picture the bloody barron playing golf trying to "spook" Peeves... but that's only because of my complete ignorance in Dutch...

I would translate PotionScale as 魔藥秤, mo yao ping. The tones matter as well, but I'm not sure how to write it down :( Saying the same sound in different tones will have different meanings. Different ways of writing them too.
190 is 一九零,which is yi jiu ling

So your full name would have been 魔藥秤一九零. But even in role playing sites, they use the Chinese characters for the names, but Arabic numerals for the numbers instead of the Chinese characters :D

DawnPumpkin33 would translate to 黎明南瓜, li ming nan gua with the numbers 三十三, or san shi san. (黎明南瓜33)

But then again, the pronunciation I am giving is for mandarin-- what most Chinese speak in.So I may not have the most correct pronunciation down. Phyllida though, I think comes from the Mainlands, where they actually use mandarin, so she would pronounce them better. There are four tones in it. In Hong Kong we only ever use the Cantonese dialect, which has 9 tones in total, and a pain to translate into english letters. Not that I know how to, because I never learnt them at school. Not like the way I learned mandarin... If you get what I mean :D

Lava
First Year Student
First Year Student
Pottermore Username: KeyStone22198

Postby Lava » May 6th, 2012, 2:28 pm

PotionScale wrote:Lava, in Croatian your name would be KljučKamena (I'm wondering if you guys can see this... There should be k-l-j-u and then c with a little tick above it?)

Yes, I can see it, thanks so much PotionScale!

For many of the languages I am pulling up, I use Alta Babelfish. It is pretty straightforward and (fairly) accurate.

PotionScale
Wizengamot Warlock
Wizengamot Warlock
Pottermore Username: PotionScale190

Postby PotionScale » May 6th, 2012, 3:21 pm

Thanks for name and info Aspy :D
I love this topic, such a great way to learn something new about other languages!

Forgot to mention: that c with a tick is pronounced very similar to ch in chocolate ;)
Image Image Image Image Image

KCMarauder
Wizengamot Warlock
Wizengamot Warlock
Points on hand: 602.47
Pottermore Username: CharmCastle16609

Postby KCMarauder » May 6th, 2012, 3:26 pm

I'm curious to know what my username means in other languages, you never know if you are gonna get an accurate result using online translations
Image Image Image

DawnPumpkin33
Points on hand: 14,760.00
Pottermore Username: DawnPumpkin33

Postby DawnPumpkin33 » May 6th, 2012, 3:42 pm

Aspy wrote:DawnPumpkin33 would translate to 黎明南瓜, li ming nan gua with the numbers 三十三, or san shi san. (黎明南瓜33)

Oh, thank you so much, Aspy!! I know I won't be able to mess up writing the 33!! :D

Those characters are all really pretty!

Pumpkin
Head of Department
Head of Department
Points on hand: 2,826.68
Pottermore Username: VioletCitrouille5574

Postby Pumpkin » May 6th, 2012, 5:22 pm

Isn't San Shi San 43? Well that's what I think it is in Japanese.... Itchi Ni San Shi Go Rocku Nana Hatchi Que Jue (?) I'm sad I don't know this since I am Chinese :(
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
Image Image Image Image Image Image

xAppleChaix
Sixth Year Student
Sixth Year Student
Points on hand: 1.50
Pottermore Username: ShadowRose7093

Postby xAppleChaix » May 7th, 2012, 3:32 am

Ooh I just found this thread and I would love to know what mine (ShadowRose) is in other languages- especially Italian! I did take some Latin and have a dictionary, so I could try to look up some if people were interested in that. I have no idea for people with HP related names like snitch or certain trees/plants though.

Aspy
Unspeakable
Unspeakable
Pottermore Username: RiverAsphodel72

Postby Aspy » May 7th, 2012, 3:56 am

PumpkinPasties619 wrote:Isn't San Shi San 43? Well that's what I think it is in Japanese.... Itchi Ni San Shi Go Rocku Nana Hatchi Que Jue (?) I'm sad I don't know this since I am Chinese :(

(四十三)Si Shi San is 43 ;)

one = yi = 一
two = er = 二
three = san = 三
four = si = 四
five = wu = 五
six = liu = 六
seven = qi = 七
eight = ba = 八
nine = jiu = 九
ten = shi = 十
zero = ling = 零

to anyone who is interested, in Chinese, numbers are simply strung together by the first basic ten characters and zero. And the occasional word for hundred, thousand, etc.
eg.
eleven is simply 十一 (ten + one)
twelve is 十二 (ten + two)
twenty five is 二十五 ((two + ten =twenty) + five)
thirty is again 三十 (three ten)
a hundred is 一百 (one + hundred)
three hundred and ninety four is 三百九十四 (three + hundred + (nine + ten = ninety) + four)

Sorry for the scrolly post: If you haven't figured out by my lengthy- compared to my usual posts- posts here, I am absolutely fascinated by and love languages <3

Return to “International Discussion”