Feedback - House styles

Make your site suggestions here and ask your questions. Thank you for your continued support of the PFF forum!

Moderator: Professors

Rhynn
Honorary Member - VIP
Honorary Member - VIP
Points on hand: 2,956.00
Pottermore Username: SeerHawthorn125

Re: Feedback - House styles

Postby Rhynn » May 22nd, 2015, 8:41 am

A little insight in how the styles work:

In the Admin panel, I can install styles which will be available for the whole forum - to be changed by the user.
In the settings for each forum section, I can define a forum style for that section, from the installed styles. This, unfortunately, cannot be changed by the user and it overrides any style the user has chosen.

In order for the user to change the style of just a forum section, I'm pretty sure we'd have to get custom mods made (which will cost money and might break the forum depending on the coder's skills). In any case there's no option for it in the software.

I feel like the old way makes the house forums more house-ey. So far it seems Hufflepuff is the only one with problems? (Other houses, let me know if this is not the case!) I can definitely make it some darker yellow (or more orange-y yellow instead of green-y yellow).

An alternative is that I re-design the house styles completely, and make them based on either white or black with house colour accents and if possible the house metal. I'm thinking Hufflepuff and Ravenclaw based on white, Gryffindor and Slytherin based on black? Though I might make a light and a dark version of each, and let the houses choose which version they want as their house forum style... takes more time though of course xD
ImageImageImage

Riverfirebolt
Deputy Headmaster - VIP
Deputy Headmaster - VIP
Points on hand: 882.26
Pottermore Username: RiverFirebolt9905

Postby Riverfirebolt » May 22nd, 2015, 9:46 am

Seems like I am the main one with a problem, so really, it wasn't that bad. If it could be a slightly warmer, less greeny yellow it would be possibly better. But really whatever is easier. It wasn't so bad I couldn't cope with it...:)

Have to say though having seen the really pale default skin I don't fancy one based on a white background. The old ones would be better than that.
ImageImageImageImageImage

Sage
Quibbler Reporter
Quibbler Reporter
Points on hand: 237.00
Pottermore Username: WitchSpell3606
PM Points: 21
Location: In a forest, sitting in a tree overlooking a lake. (USA)

Postby Sage » May 22nd, 2015, 11:35 am

While it would be interesting that instead of doing black and white you used the secondary color of each house, gold for Gryffindor, silver for Slytherin, bronze for Ravenclaw and black for Hufflepuff, I think that since it's possible that only Hufflepuff finds their greenish yellow slightly a problem, then it would be better to leave the other three the way they are and just change the color of Hufflepuff's.

Ashdust
Wizard/Witch
Wizard/Witch
Points on hand: 4,018.70
Pottermore Username: AshDust224

Postby Ashdust » May 23rd, 2015, 7:31 am

The Slytherin one looks fine to me Rhynn. :)

If you are doing extra ones, I would prefer a dark background, but really I was perfectly happy with what we had before.

But again...ours isn't yellow. :lol:
Image Image
ImageImageImageImage Image

Return to “Suggestions and Questions”