Where old roleplays go!
Nim
Unspeakable
Unspeakable
Points on hand: 0.00
Pottermore Username: NimbusHeart42

Re: Roleplay Suggestion

Postby Nim » July 24th, 2013, 10:44 am

You're welcome :P It was my pleasure and certainly simple enough.
ImageImageImage

Wrackspurt
Seventh Year Student
Seventh Year Student
Points on hand: 53.00
Pottermore Username: OwlStone19970

Postby Wrackspurt » July 24th, 2013, 2:46 pm

Well it looks like Whispers set the bar for plot pretty high. I kind of don't want to post mine, so I don't steal votes from her, unless when the poll gets added there's a choice for "Mash All the Plots Together" :D . Honestly, I think once we decide on the plot for the RP, we should try to pull from other ideas as much as possible. Maybe not right away, so we don't exhaust them all too fast, but using Whispers's ideas as an example, she said that the founders picked the Hogwarts location because of the dragon, and that they were Merlin's pupils. So Merlin could wake up and say he'd helped pick the location and freak out because the dragon was waking, making him a large part of that plotline.

Whispers is probably reading this going "NO! I have much better plans for Merlin!"
Image Image Image
ImageImageImageImage

Avis
Head of Department
Head of Department
Points on hand: 4,962.00
Pottermore Username: AvisHallow15706

Postby Avis » July 24th, 2013, 3:07 pm

lol, Truppers... I think you should definitely post yours. :D

Gatsby
Third Year Student
Third Year Student
Pottermore Username: DragonNight3344

Postby Gatsby » July 24th, 2013, 9:18 pm

I am positively drooling over Whispers' proposals. Wow.
- RPR - The Wizarding School of Hogwarts - Forums -

Nim
Unspeakable
Unspeakable
Pottermore Username: NimbusHeart42

Postby Nim » July 25th, 2013, 12:39 am

I think there should definitely be an option to smash all the plots together... Maybe we'll make the poll, vote for your top three and then the ones with the most votes get smashed?
ImageImageImage

Whispers
Roleplay Team
Roleplay Team
Points on hand: 30,338.00
Pottermore Username: PhoenixMagic4503

Postby Whispers » July 25th, 2013, 3:43 am

Wrackspurt and Gatsby, thank you both for the very kind words. *Blush*

I think any mashing of plots should only be done with the authors' consent.

Let's say that Wrackspurt wins the poll and one of my plots comes in second. Then it's proposed we mash. This could lead to several outcomes:
1. Wrackspurt and I both agree. I submit the 'mashing elements' of my story to Wrackspurt and he, as the winner of the top spot, rewrites his story to incorporate those elements.
2. Wrackspurt refuses. At this point, we can vote for a new story, but we can't just take Wrackspurt's plot and rewrite as we see fit. After all, it's his story.
3. I refuse. Now things become tricky, since we don't want my full story, we only want certain elements of it. It then comes down to: are those element original or not. I.e. we want to write my version of Merlin into Wrackspurt's story; for the most part, that's hardly an original element so as long as we stick to the Merlin Legend it's fine. But if it is an original element, then we are back to the second scenario: you can't just take an original work and use it without the author's permission.

Does that seem fair?

And yes, that does mean it's valid to ask beforehand if someone would agree to mashing story xyz and then casting your vote elsewhere if they say no.

Now to the proposed mashing of my What Lies Beneath and Old Enemies plots: I would refuse (sorry!) for the following reasons.

1. They are intended to be different kinds of stories. What Lies Beneath is a classic treasure-seeking mystery type of adventure. Players peruse ancient tomes, pieces clues together, explore the Castle dungeons and any natural caverns beneath it, etc. But Old Enemies, is a 'whodunit' mixed with a social/political element. The players have to find out if this is really Merlin and, if so, what happened to him all those years. What is the truth behind Merlin? And then, they can try to set up a personal rapport with Merlin and possibly nudge him to one faction or the other (remember, wizards from all over Britain will visit Merlin trying to gain his favour). Trying to mash two different 'genres' would either become 'too much at once' or take away from whichever becomes the 'subplot'.

2. Merlin, even if mad, by nature of his power and knowledge would be the natural gravitational center of the Draconus Brittanicus plot (or any other plot, for that matter). What would Merlin say? Does he have any leads? Can he offer help? Etc etc. And I don't want that, I want the players to solve it on their own. There is a reason Rowling made Dumbledore 'unavailable' for most of the books - otherwise, the story would be "Harry and friends discover a secret, then run to Dumbledore to fix it" rather than "Harry and friends discover a secret, and adventure ensues."

So in this case: no mashing, please. I would be okay with running them consecutively though. Whatever woke up the dragon, also weakened the spell on Merlin and while the players are sitting down in the rubble of whatever part of Hogwarts collapsed, glad to have finally solved their dragon problem and really looking forward to a return to homework, classes and boring schoollife, a white-bearded man apparates onto Hogwarts' court yard (yes, straight through all of the Castle's defenses!) and asks to see his old friend Godric Gryffindor. That would work for me. But not trying to run them at the same time.

Also, I am working on a fourth plot* in which wizards are revealed to Muggles and this one doesn't have much of a backstory. That's to say, it starts with "wizards have been revealed, let's see what happens next." Now that would mash perfectly with Wrackspurt's "An ancient secret group of Wizards breaks the Secrecy." So I'm not against mashing plots on principle, but I do think the decision needs to be made on a case-by-case basis, with the authors having the final say (and the group having the option of choosing another story entirely based on that).

* That also means my third plot is now up. Warning: it's dark.

Edit: My fourth (and for now final) plot is also up!
Image ImageImage

~~ My wand: Hawthorn, Phoenix Feather, 12 1/4", Surprisingly Swishy <3 ~~
~~ PFF Student ID: 24R046 ~~

Wrackspurt
Seventh Year Student
Seventh Year Student
Points on hand: 53.00
Pottermore Username: OwlStone19970

Postby Wrackspurt » July 25th, 2013, 6:04 pm

So I posted my main plot idea. It's similar to Whispers's "In Broad Daylight" storyline, but there are distinctions I felt should be made, or important points that need to be highlighted.

1) Wizards aren't being forced to register or wear an insignia. In both plotlines, the Ministry is trying to play nice and not rock the boat, but in Whispers's story it seems muggles have the upper hand. In my story, wizards have the upper hand, but also have to respond and do damage control for any negative moves made by the The Emerald City organization (terrible name, I know). However, that doesn't mean that things in my story won't turn violent between muggles and magic users (I kind of intend it to).

2) There's no muggle integration into the Ministry or Hogwarts. I imply that muggles are looking for such places, and may succeed, but if muggles do find these places, they won't be there to work peacefully together.

3) The British Minister of Magic is now missing, along with the US President, because supposedly they're the two most influential people in their respective worlds. There is now an interim Minister, but there's no telling if/when the true Minister will resurface or be found. So the Ministry is in a bit of disarray. Will the interim Minister be able to do a respectable job in the circumstances, or will the people call for his/her removal (ala Fudge post OotP)?

EDITED in number 3, because I thought it would add another interesting layer.
Last edited by Wrackspurt on July 26th, 2013, 9:57 am, edited 4 times in total.
Image Image Image
ImageImageImageImage

Whispers
Roleplay Team
Roleplay Team
Points on hand: 30,338.00
Pottermore Username: PhoenixMagic4503

Postby Whispers » July 26th, 2013, 2:02 am

Wrackspurt wrote:1) Wizards aren't being forced to register or wear an insignia.

The insignia thing hasn't happened yet :). Some Muggle politicians are pushing for it and if/when it does happen, that will spark a war with the Wizarding Community. The players are part of an effort to diffuse the situation before it happens.

But you are correct that Muggles have the upper hand in my story. It seemed to make sense, given that the Ministry of Magic reports to the British Prime Minister, which suggests that Wizards and Witches are subject to the British Goverment and that is run by Muggles (who are now in an uproar XD).

I like that your plot moves in the exact opposite direction, it will give people something to choose from! :)

@ Nim and Avis, might the Leader Application and Plot Ideas threads benefit from an end date? That way people who want to get a submission in, know when the deadline is.
Image ImageImage

~~ My wand: Hawthorn, Phoenix Feather, 12 1/4", Surprisingly Swishy <3 ~~
~~ PFF Student ID: 24R046 ~~

ShadowLarsie
Seventh Year Student
Seventh Year Student
Pottermore Username: ShadowShield1374

Postby ShadowLarsie » July 26th, 2013, 9:02 am

Sorry for randomly popping in but I am really excited for what is to become of the roleplaying here! :D Just saying :)
-Larsie1 :gryffindor: :hogwarts: ------ :lion: ------ :snitch: :snitch: :snitch: ------ :lion: ------ :hogwarts: :gryffindor:
Reading, Writing, Gaming, Pottering = LARSIE!
Image Image Image Image

Avis
Head of Department
Head of Department
Points on hand: 4,962.00
Pottermore Username: AvisHallow15706

Postby Avis » July 26th, 2013, 9:58 am

Truppers... you should apply for RP Leader :D

... loving everyone's ideas for the main plot line!! :)

Return to “RP Archives”