Where old roleplays go!
Wrackspurt
Seventh Year Student
Seventh Year Student
Points on hand: 53.00
Pottermore Username: OwlStone19970

Roleplay Suggestion  [Indexed]

Postby Wrackspurt » July 18th, 2013, 5:11 am

So I've been missing the RP. Sadly, it seems it's really emptied out, and I'm no exception obviously. :oops:

When I joined the RP, I did so because I wanted to have the Hogwarts experience, you know? :hogwarts: The main part of that is going through all seven years. I know you did away with the classes, which I have no problem with. When you introduced the events, though, I was confused. Not with the events themselves, but I wondered if the calendar was still in play. Whether it is or is not is kind of irrelevant. However, my suggestion does involve a larger focus on the (old?) calendar.

I like the idea of the major days such as first day of school, Quidditch games, holidays, and whatnot. However, it was always that it had to be mutually agreed upon to move the calendar, and during my short RP time either everybody got really into their interactions and just ignored it or didn't want to be the one to suggest moving forward.

Basically, what I think is that the calendar should be reintroduced or edited (since I still don't know if it's in play), only instead of making everyone agree on the progression, just make the progression natural. Put each major RP day on about a 2 week real time schedule, so people know it's always moving. Like I said, I joined initially with a first year with the intention of moving him through all seven years, but with no real driving force, I lost interest.

I'm certainly not saying get rid of events, because they're a good idea :D . I think the two just need to be fused together. You can even add more "normal days" to the RP calendar where people might be more inclined to use events.
Image Image Image
ImageImageImageImage

Gatsby
Third Year Student
Third Year Student
Points on hand: 0.00
Pottermore Username: DragonNight3344

Re: Roleplay Suggestion

Postby Gatsby » July 18th, 2013, 7:29 pm

I'm game for anything that would increase the frequency and depth of the roleplay here. :eagle:
- RPR - The Wizarding School of Hogwarts - Forums -

Riddle7052
Seventh Year Student
Seventh Year Student
Points on hand: 5,044.00

Postby Riddle7052 » July 18th, 2013, 8:04 pm

I think this is a good idea. I'm thinking of getting back into RPing, and continuity was one of the problems i was having.

Whispers
Roleplay Team
Roleplay Team
Points on hand: 30,338.00
Pottermore Username: PhoenixMagic4503

Postby Whispers » July 19th, 2013, 2:30 pm

I agree. And I think the RP right now is a little too player-driven - even events are easily interpreted/resolved/ignored as players see fit. We kinda need things to happen, to go wrong. Let's face it, if HP was just 7 books about a boy attending wizarding school with nothing but classes and such, they'd be boring.
Image ImageImage

~~ My wand: Hawthorn, Phoenix Feather, 12 1/4", Surprisingly Swishy <3 ~~
~~ PFF Student ID: 24R046 ~~

Gatsby
Third Year Student
Third Year Student

Postby Gatsby » July 19th, 2013, 3:40 pm

Whispers wrote:I agree. And I think the RP right now is a little too player-driven - even events are easily interpreted/resolved/ignored as players see fit. We kinda need things to happen, to go wrong. Let's face it, if HP was just 7 books about a boy attending wizarding school with nothing but classes and such, they'd be boring.

This! A hundred times, this.

Wrackspurt
Seventh Year Student
Seventh Year Student

Postby Wrackspurt » July 19th, 2013, 11:43 pm

I think you make a good point about it being too player-driven Whispers. Do you have a suggestion to help fix it. I obviously couldn't do anything about it, I'm just curious.
Image Image Image
ImageImageImageImage

Whispers
Roleplay Team
Roleplay Team
Points on hand: 30,338.00
Pottermore Username: PhoenixMagic4503

Postby Whispers » July 20th, 2013, 1:38 am

Wrackspurt wrote:I think you make a good point about it being too player-driven Whispers. Do you have a suggestion to help fix it. I obviously couldn't do anything about it, I'm just curious.

Basically, we need an someone to come up with a plot and (slowly) develop the story there. Typically that would be an RP Leader's job, but I'm not sure how that works on PFF. That way we (the players) could happily come up with our own little events (i.e. Serena trying to start a HW swimming team or nearly setting fire to the library), but there would also be a larger mystery/problem to solve.

In HP terms:
Being on the Quidditch teams, the interaction between characters, receiving packages from the Weasleys, etc etc, would be player-driven or chance events.
Voldemort returning and the mystery (and misdirection) that leads to, would be a RP leader driven event.

Right now we only have player-driven and chance event, we lack a large plot. I'm not suggestion we do Voldemort 2.0 (that would be boring), but surely there are other threats to Hogwarts?
Image ImageImage

~~ My wand: Hawthorn, Phoenix Feather, 12 1/4", Surprisingly Swishy <3 ~~
~~ PFF Student ID: 24R046 ~~

Gatsby
Third Year Student
Third Year Student

Postby Gatsby » July 20th, 2013, 7:36 pm

Whispers wrote:
Wrackspurt wrote:I think you make a good point about it being too player-driven Whispers. Do you have a suggestion to help fix it. I obviously couldn't do anything about it, I'm just curious.

Basically, we need an someone to come up with a plot and (slowly) develop the story there. Typically that would be an RP Leader's job, but I'm not sure how that works on PFF. That way we (the players) could happily come up with our own little events (i.e. Serena trying to start a HW swimming team or nearly setting fire to the library), but there would also be a larger mystery/problem to solve.

In HP terms:
Being on the Quidditch teams, the interaction between characters, receiving packages from the Weasleys, etc etc, would be player-driven or chance events.
Voldemort returning and the mystery (and misdirection) that leads to, would be a RP leader driven event.

Right now we only have player-driven and chance event, we lack a large plot. I'm not suggestion we do Voldemort 2.0 (that would be boring), but surely there are other threats to Hogwarts?

The roleplay that I admin, we work in a similar way to what Whispers is suggesting.
A single over-arching plot, with different events here and there that effect the school on a more 'personal' level, along with more player-driven stories in between.

There are, indeed, other threats that one could come up with, such as the remnants of the Death Eaters developing into a sort of "Neo-Death-Eater" group; the centaurs in the forest staging an uprising; Muggle-borns turning the tables by persecuting purebloods as opposed to the other way around, etc.

Riv
Order of Merlin, Third Class
Order of Merlin, Third Class
Points on hand: 22.19
Pottermore Username: WildRiver35
Location: Sneaking around the Ministry on an undercover job from RWP

Postby Riv » July 21st, 2013, 5:23 pm

I know I'm not a person to talk here, what with not being involved with the RP here due to knowing that I would soon drop it again, but what you are saying is making perfect sense. I was part of an HP RP on facebook some years back, and even though I wasn't a major character there or even participated in it much, I still liked it a lot. I'm thinking that if you bring something like an over-arching plotline to here, and also implement the 2-real-weeks=1-RP-day system that Truppers mentioned, I would definitely look twice into joining you guys.

I do like to RP, I really do, I just know myself and my lack of really focusing on this for a longer time. In the beginning, yes, I might be very active and post a lot and whatnot, but soon enough I'll find another thing that looks ooooh fun yay and will slowly drop the last thing I was doing. But I'm willing to really give it a try if there are people who keep pushing me to not drop this after a while. The only thing I don't like too much is if there's too much interaction, aka too many people RP'ing. I know, that's the point of RPs, but I feel like I'm gonna get completely lost in all of it and I always like to know everything that's going on (and I also know that's what I'm doing wrong, because in real life you don't always know everything that's going on either)... I just need to think about this, but as I said - if you are going to re-reform this RP, I might consider joining. But only if I don't have too much stuff to do irl.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImage
Slytherin ExtraordinaireNo.1 Fan of the Slytherin PrinceEstonian For Life
~Writing ~ Tumblr~

Wrackspurt
Seventh Year Student
Seventh Year Student

Postby Wrackspurt » July 22nd, 2013, 12:12 am

Riv wrote:But I'm willing to really give it a try if there are people who keep pushing me to not drop this after a while. The only thing I don't like too much is if there's too much interaction, aka too many people RP'ing. I know, that's the point of RPs, but I feel like I'm gonna get completely lost in all of it and I always like to know everything that's going on (and I also know that's what I'm doing wrong, because in real life you don't always know everything that's going on either)... I just need to think about this, but as I said - if you are going to re-reform this RP, I might consider joining. But only if I don't have too much stuff to do irl.

Riv, I'm sure we could find people willing to nag at you. Also, in looking through the character archives, I know there used to be NPC teachers. I wonder if there would be a possibility of bringing the idea of professors back as human-controlled characters, because I feel like that would be a perfect role for minimal interaction and maximal knowlwge, like you want. Although, I forsee it becoming an immediate problem of everyone then wanting to RP a professor. If we managed to sort it out and make it work though, it could be another good dimension to the RP.
Image Image Image
ImageImageImageImage

Return to “RP Archives”