Class: Herbology (Greenhouses)

Like forum roleplays? Then this is the place for you!
Avis
Head of Department
Head of Department
Points on hand: 4,962.00
Pottermore Username: AvisHallow15706

Class: Herbology (Greenhouses)

Postby Avis » August 15th, 2013, 8:23 pm

Use this topic to attend Herbology class.

Professor: Jefferson Hardwick (NPC)
Spoiler: show
Jefferson Hardwick - Herbology – Gryffindor

Wand: Chestnut, Phoenix Feather, 11", Solid
Patronus: Horse
Blood Status: Muggle-Born

Appearance: Although he's not considered one of the younger teachers, he's certainly not old either. He's naturally tan, and has kept his head shaved since he was a young man, and it's a look that works for him. He has scars on the left side of his face, and when he rolls up his sleeve, there are more on his left arm. He's a strong and muscular man, although not as toned as he was when he was younger.

Bio: Jefferson grew up helping out on the farm of his muggle parents. While he enjoyed getting dirty and helping out with the planting and havesting of the crops, he was a thrill-seeker from an early age, and enjoyed riding the family horses. One time a pack of wolves found their way onto the farm shortly after one of the horses had given birth to a new foal. Jefferson insisted on going outside with his father to get rid of the problem - his father had taught him how to shoot - when it didn't go well, that's how he ended up with the scars on the left side of his body.

This didn't deter Jefferson, though. When he went to Hogwarts he took an interest in Care of Magical Creatures. He also showed a particular talent for Quidditch, and spent his last five years at school as a Beater on the Gryffindor team. Controlling a broom with one hand while keeping a club in the other was easy compared to keeping a horse under control.

Secretly, Jefferson's favorite part of school was always Herbology. It was at times exciting, and other times peaceful, just as it had been growing up on his parents' farm. As a professor, he doesn't always use as much magic as perhaps another Herbology professor might, he prefers manual labor, claiming it keeps him strong. He has a passion and energy for his subject, but growing up working on a farm made him tough, which in turn makes him tough on his students, and he doesn't hesitate to push them.

Biologist
Roleplay Team
Roleplay Team
Points on hand: 496.00
Pottermore Username: Purplemoonstone25474

Re: Class: Herbology (Greenhouses)

Postby Biologist » May 7th, 2014, 3:53 am

Professor Hardwick watched the fourth years stream into the greenhouse. There was a lot to do and one of the advantages of teaching Herbology was that the students could do much of the work for him. He cringed as he saw the Du Lac girl enter, a brilliant student if it came to theory - rather accident prone if it came to the practical part of his lessons. Yet he was sure that by now she could find the way to the infirmary herself.

In front of the students, sitting on their work tables, were jars with what looked like beautiful plants with star shaped fruits. "Welcome, students. In front of you is the Anisa anaesthetica, or the numbing aniseed. It is used in lotions and poultices to relieve pain, or in tonics to dull toothache. Today we harvest the seeds. Be sure to wear your protective gear. The smallest drop of the sap of the plant creates a severe numbness. Never harvest these while you have other toxic or carnivorous plants in your greenhouse. They will take advantage of the situation." He looked around. "Teams of two or three. Well, get going!"
My wand:

Larch with Pheonix Feather core, 13 3/4 inches, surprisingly swishy.

^_^

Whispers
Roleplay Team
Roleplay Team
Points on hand: 30,338.00
Pottermore Username: PhoenixMagic4503

Postby Whispers » May 7th, 2014, 4:25 am

Serena entered the greenhouse. Well, that was to say, she hesitantly stuck her head through the door and, after looking left and right to make sure the way was clear, hurried down the path (keeping perfectly to the centre) to her seat. Even so, she managed to get hit by a Striking Nettle and arrived at her table massaging a patch of red hives on her left forearm. Not a good start, she thought to herself. She looked no happier when Professor Hardwick explained about the Anisa Anaesthetica. Really, a paralyzing plant? She cast a doubtful glance at the hard stone floor. Maybe she should start bringing cushions to Herbology class. Or see if the Slytherin Quidditch team would allow her to borrow Keeper's gear for protection.

She looked around at her classmates when Hardwick told them to team up. Most of them, having been paired with the 'Herbology Disaster' at one time or another already, found themselves suddenly and completely engrossed in their textbooks. Not that Serena could blame them, given her subpar track record in Hardwick's class. She cast a contemplative look at Angus, Liam and Evanna. Maybe she could pair up with one of them? Even if their secret club hadn't forged a strong enough bond to see them through Herbology with her, it might provide blackmail material to achieve the same result, she thought with some humour.
Image ImageImage

~~ My wand: Hawthorn, Phoenix Feather, 12 1/4", Surprisingly Swishy <3 ~~
~~ PFF Student ID: 24R046 ~~

Arien
First Year Student
First Year Student
Points on hand: 0.00

Postby Arien » May 7th, 2014, 11:13 am

Evanna rushed in, late.
"I'm so sorry Professor! I just...uhh.." she was struggling to think of an excuse "It took me a while to answer the riddle to get in my common room, and I needed my bag!"
She shuffled over to Serena, still watching professor Hardwick. She had crossed her fingers, hoping not to get a detention.
"I've got the books" she whispered to her. Then, noticing others were in pairs, she said "Wanna pair up?"
Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image Image Image

WolfMoon
Roleplay Team
Roleplay Team
Points on hand: 8,461.00
Pottermore Username: HowlFeather5869

Postby WolfMoon » May 7th, 2014, 11:33 am

Liam looked at the Anisa Anaesthetica. He wasn't too happy about their task because he had hoped that they wouldn't have to do much. Many things kept him busy, so he didn't want to work that hard, especially if the thing he had to work with could create a severe numbness. He would have to concentrate on this task, otherwise he might risk not being able to move parts of his body. Something he didn't want at all because he had plans for this afternoon.

So he looked at Angus. Liam hesitated at first but then he said: "I know we haven't had such a brilliant start today, but... um... would you like to team up with me?"
ImageImageImage

Biologist
Roleplay Team
Roleplay Team
Points on hand: 496.00
Pottermore Username: Purplemoonstone25474

Postby Biologist » May 8th, 2014, 3:13 pm

Angus looked at Liam. "Sure, mr. Hayes, no hard feelings. Can I call you Liam?" He was being a bit stiff, but he didn't want to take any chances of being too familiar.

He glanced over at the table with Evanna and Serena. "Maybe we should stay close to them. Something interesting is bound to happen and they might have use of our help." With that he meant to say he knew of Serena's reputation of getting hurt during Herbology practicum and he knew a bit about first aid. He had never thought the detention he had to serve in the infirmary would turn out so interesting and satisfying. Even after his detention was served, he asked for permission to stay on as assistant and was allowed to help out more permanently. Someone might have need for his medical skills.

------------------------------------------

Hardwick walked around the tables, putting down the plants that needed to be harvested. "Be sure to wear your dragon-hide gloves, your coat and crystal goggles. Any drop that lands on you will numb you, and it will make harvesting a lot more difficult." He hoped there weren't too many accidents, otherwise he might as well harvest the plants himself. The extra warning was meant for the less gifted students who still dared to take this class lightly. As well as for the unfortunate who were known to have accidents with even the most docile plants. He sighed inwardly when he set down the plants on Serena and Evanna's table, but smiled encouragingly. Maybe this time...
My wand:

Larch with Pheonix Feather core, 13 3/4 inches, surprisingly swishy.

^_^

Whispers
Roleplay Team
Roleplay Team

Postby Whispers » May 9th, 2014, 3:26 am

Serena gave the star-shaped plants a long, hard look. So this was her enemy. She began by closing her robe up to her chin, then pulling the sleeves down to completely cover her arms. By now, she was beginnig to look like a shapeless black-and-green mass. She then put on the protective coat, pulled the gloves up over her sleeves (making sure that not a sliver of skin showed) and put on the goggles. She bravely picked up the pruning sciccors and handed them to Evanna. "You go first," she said (asked) her teammate.

((If people are wondering why she is acting so oddly: Serena has a track record of ending Herbology class with a trip to the infirmary. She does NOT get on well with plants.))
Image ImageImage

WolfMoon
Roleplay Team
Roleplay Team
Points on hand: 8,461.00
Pottermore Username: HowlFeather5869

Postby WolfMoon » May 9th, 2014, 9:14 am

"Of course. Call me Liam," he said. Then he turned his head to see that Serena was making herself ready to start her fight against the plant.

"To my right, there is Miss Serena du Lac, opposite her, there is the dangerous Anisa Anaesthetica. We'll have a thrilling duel, ladies and gentlemen!" Liam addressed the Slytherin with a big grin. Then he added: "Good luck!"
ImageImageImage

Arien
First Year Student
First Year Student
Points on hand: 0.00

Postby Arien » May 9th, 2014, 9:49 am

Evanna laughed at Liam's commentary and took the pruning shears. She'd missed the instructions from the teacher, but guessed by looking at the shears that she was to harvest the seeds. She'd read a storybook about a boy that got immensly splattered by the sap and couldn't feel his body ever again, and for some odd reason, the thought gave her a laughing fit. Giggling her head off, she began to harvest the seeds. She'd often get distracted in Herbology like this. Maybe that's why she found it hard to complete her herbology homework.
Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image Image Image

Whispers
Roleplay Team
Roleplay Team

Postby Whispers » May 9th, 2014, 10:08 am

Serena groaned in response to Liam's comment. She didn't need luck; she needed a bloody miracle. The Slytherin was usually so graceful that she seemed to float, or more accurately: move like a serpent in water. But put her near plants and it was like stepping into a Benny Hill movie where she she could barely walk without tripping over her own feet.

She tried to watch carefully when Evanna got to work, but she wasn't sure how much she'd learn. Her classmate's grades were only a little better than her own (although she had to admit that at least Evanna had never gotten injured during Herbology). She was soon distracted by another thought.

"Can I sneak a peek at the titles?" she whispered to her Ravenclaw partner as she pointed to Evanna's bag.
Image ImageImage

Return to “Hogwarts Roleplay”