Disasters with Dueling.

All Pottermore-related archived topics can be found in here!

Moderator: Professors

Riverfirebolt
Deputy Headmaster - VIP
Deputy Headmaster - VIP
Points on hand: 882.26
Pottermore Username: RiverFirebolt9905

Disasters with Dueling.

Postby Riverfirebolt » March 11th, 2013, 5:43 pm

Disasters with Dueling.

In this topic you can see some collected general Dueling tips from our members and the most common dueling problems we have had previously, along with the solutions we have found.

If you have any other problems with any aspect of dueling on Pottermore that isn't covered here or you are not sure of anything, please post it here and we will do our best to help you.

Or, if you have any useful dueling tips we haven't covered you can also post that here.

General tips.

• The highest score is 163 and the only spells that can do this are the Jelly-Legs Curse and the Disarming Charm. The Jelly-Legs Curse can be found in the book Curses and Counter Curses and the Disarming Charm can be found in the book The Standard Book of Spells, Grade 2.
  • Click first when the light stream is under the middle of the letter.
  • Click the second time when the circle is at its fullest or just before this.
  • If you mess up badly you can hit the refresh button and try again.
  • With dueling, practice makes perfect. You do get better the more you practice.
  • Higher scores seem to be about the rhythm of the duels. Try to be consistent; maybe listen to music as long as it isn't too slow or some people use a metronome to time their duels.
  • If you decline a challenge you do not lose points.
  • You do occasionally get a time out on duels if you duel too much in one go. If you get one of these it is Pottermore's way of telling you it is time to come back to PFF for a while.

Questions and Answers.

I think Pottermore or someone in particular might be using my account to fake dueling matches. Sometimes I try to duel, and without even letting me pick a spell, I already see the result of me dueling someone and them always winning over me.

Spoiler: show
I get this all the time.

It generally scores me around about 137 or 138, which is not right as I either get in the 140's or I fail badly and get lower than 130. Or, it shows me using spells I never use except for in arranged challenges.

Thing is the points never showed whether I won or lost the duel and it never showed in my dueling list either. So not sure that anyone else is gaining the points from this as even when I won these phantom duels, I never got any points from them.

So, unless you seem to be losing points, I wouldn't worry too much.

I have a duel notification but when i scroll the duel list I don't find it!

This is just a system glitch and the duel notification will normally vanish next time Pottermore resets the duels.

It's not a big issue really, but quite annoying sometimes. Whenever I log in to Pottermore, it erases all the duels that I've ever done, saying that I haven't dueled ever yet. I'd like to know who I've dueled before and try to win if I lost before.

Sorry, duels are regularly reset and you will lose your dueling history every now and then. I think they wipe the dueling history every week or so. I find it incredibly annoying, but I'm pretty sure they're doing it on purpose to make sure the dueling takes up less data...

I usually get over 140 in wizards duel and then suddenly I start getting 135, 137. I play it the same way and I click on the letters accurately but it does not help. Now it's hard for me to get a 140. What should I do??

From my experience you just have to work through this. Some days I get high 130's, other days I can get 143 or 144 without doing anything different. Think it is just one of those lovable quirks of Pottermore that we just have to put up with.

A duel that scores a 145 one day may only score a 140 the next, it all seems pretty inconsistent. I have also found that your computer speed can affect your duels as well. So if you are running other programmes it may slow your computer down and so you have to hit the circles at different speeds.

Sometimes, when I do a perfect full-body bind, then I only get up to 140 points, never over it. And sometimes, if I do the same spell and miss the letters more, I get up to 142!

Well, the score isn't just based on if you hit the letter or not, it's also based on whether or not the ring was at it's largest when you clicked. That's really hard to tell if you got it "perfect" or not.
ImageImageImageImageImage

ShadowLarsie
Seventh Year Student
Seventh Year Student
Points on hand: 0.00
Pottermore Username: ShadowShield1374

Re: Disasters with Dueling.

Postby ShadowLarsie » July 7th, 2013, 2:27 am

Thanks Riv! I'll need these! :lol:
-Larsie1 :gryffindor: :hogwarts: ------ :lion: ------ :snitch: :snitch: :snitch: ------ :lion: ------ :hogwarts: :gryffindor:
Reading, Writing, Gaming, Pottering = LARSIE!
Image Image Image Image

Wrackspurt
Seventh Year Student
Seventh Year Student
Points on hand: 53.00
Pottermore Username: OwlStone19970

Postby Wrackspurt » September 5th, 2013, 3:25 pm

Is anyone else experiencing a phenomenon where you feel like you're doing just fine in a duel, then for no apparent reason the letters just drop, sometimes before you're even halfway done? This is happening to me somewhat regularly in the new duelling system.
Image Image Image
ImageImageImageImage

Riverfirebolt
Deputy Headmaster - VIP
Deputy Headmaster - VIP

Postby Riverfirebolt » September 5th, 2013, 4:55 pm

Definitely Truppers not sure about halfway through but there seems to be a point about halfway between the first two letters where sometimes the spell just drops for no reason, when it does this I get a zero and neither me or my opponent gets any points no matter how well they do. So far I haven't found any way round it. Seems totally random.

ThestralUnicorn21416
Fifth Year Student
Fifth Year Student
Points on hand: 1,149.38
Pottermore Username: ThestralUnicorn21416

Postby ThestralUnicorn21416 » September 6th, 2013, 4:19 pm

Bit confused, I was online earlier sent out about thirty duels ten to each house, got no response and thought they would all be returned by the time I logged on tonight but there is nothing, no responses at all. Does it always take this long to get a reply?
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Riverfirebolt
Deputy Headmaster - VIP
Deputy Headmaster - VIP

Postby Riverfirebolt » September 6th, 2013, 6:41 pm

Thestral, some duels always disappear, seems to be a lot though for them all to vanish, just wondering did your duel history vanish as well, as sometimes Pottermore do wipe the duel history of people and that does wipe any pending duels as well. That could be it maybe.

ThestralUnicorn21416
Fifth Year Student
Fifth Year Student
Points on hand: 1,149.38
Pottermore Username: ThestralUnicorn21416

Postby ThestralUnicorn21416 » September 6th, 2013, 6:53 pm

River think you have it. that is exactly what has happened my whole dueling history all five or six pages of it has vanished. Bit annoying as how am I meant to earn points if no-one is brave enough to duel us Slytherins?
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Riverfirebolt
Deputy Headmaster - VIP
Deputy Headmaster - VIP

Postby Riverfirebolt » September 7th, 2013, 3:38 am

Glad that explains it.

And you can always accept my challenges. :lol:

TyrannicalOverlord
First Year Student
First Year Student
Points on hand: 0.00

Postby TyrannicalOverlord » January 20th, 2014, 2:09 pm

There seems to be something really weird whenever i Duel in pottermore.
I do everything just like you're supposed to.
I click the letters when the circle is at its largest and I use the full body bind spell but even at my best the highest i ever get is around 120, if I'm lucky. (usually its around 110)
Its seems to be the same with other spells to.
The people i know that have pottermore accounts dont seem to have this problem at all.
And its really starting to bug me, I've contacted the people on pottermore but it still isnt fixed and its been half a year or so now.
I even tried to duel on my account but using other computers.
I just hope that somebody, somewhere on the internet has a solution to this.

BenWo
First Year Student
First Year Student
Points on hand: 51.00
Pottermore Username: DraconisSpirit22851

Postby BenWo » June 19th, 2015, 10:49 pm

The highest score is 145 and the only spell that can do this is Full Body-Bind, found in the book Curses and Counter Curses.

This obviously must be out of date. Was just beat by a Fire Making Spell with a score of 148. Highest I've seen was on a Jelly-legs at 155.

Return to “Pottermore Archive”