Problems with Potions

All Pottermore-related archived topics can be found in here!

Moderator: Professors

Riverfirebolt
Deputy Headmaster - VIP
Deputy Headmaster - VIP
Points on hand: 882.26
Pottermore Username: RiverFirebolt9905

Problems with Potions

Postby Riverfirebolt » March 9th, 2013, 5:47 am

Problems with Potions

In this topic you can see some collected general potions tips from our members and the most common potion problems we have had previously. And the solutions we have found.

If you have any other problems with any aspect of brewing potions on Pottermore that isn't covered here or you are not sure of anything please post it here and we will do our best to help you.

Or if you have any useful potion tip we haven't covered you can also post that here.

General tips

• One helping of an ingredient is not necessarily 1 item.
  • One drop of an item is not necessarily a constant amount.
  • When adding ingredients the only thing that matters is what the counter has counted. That will be the amount that the program thinks you've added.
  • If you are unsure if an ingredient has registered check back to the book each stage is crossed off as it is completed successfully.
  • Stirring can be very glitchy make sure you stir in big circles and wait for the counter to catch up with you before moving on.
  • Do not stop while stirring as this can be an automatic fail on the potion.
  • If you still have problems stirring practice with the Cure For Boils practice potion.
  • Heat on high until you get the temperature within the green zone then alternate between medium and off until time runs out.
  • Return time on all potions is exactly half the brewing time.
  • Only run Pottermore on one browser window at a time especially when brewing potions.
  • When dealing with bottles in potions, pick them up by the top and tilt it in gently using the cauldron to balance it.
  • It is now possible to make Swelling Solution, Sleeping Draught, Forgetfulness and Herbicide with regenerating ingredients only. So no need to spend any galleons at the Apothecary.

If you wish to share your potion collection or take part in monthly potion making competitions or just generally discuss potions come and join us at the Pottermore Potions Club.

Question and Answer

I know I've added the right amount or stirred the right number of times, but the potion still fails!

Spoiler: show
Pause between each step so the program can catch up. The number of ingredients and the stir count should be on the counter before you move to the next step, or they will not be counted right.

I use the wand or a bottle or what ever, and the picture doesn't show or shows up late. How do I know if it worked?

The pictures of the items in action are only loaded when you do the action itself, and not before, like the rest of the program (and the items at rest). That means that the picture has to come down from that very same over worked server and may lag a bit.
With the ingredients and bottles it means that if you pause while still holding the item, it will catch up and show. As long as the counter registers it, it works.
With the wand it means that sometimes you don't see the wand at all, but as long as the sparks fly, it will have worked, so don't worry about it.
If you are not sure if something registered check back to the potion book inbetween steps as each step is completed successfully they are crossed off there.

I was making a potion and 2 countdowns went off one by the mortar, and one by the cauldron.

The two timers are separate the one by the cauldron is as normal for the heating, the other one on the other side over the mortar counting down from 10 is telling you that you are running out of time overall.

I have a problem; I've brewed my Swelling Solution but when I go back to 'The Diversion' moment it still tells me to go and brew, and won't give me access to the rest of the moment.

That's not where you have to go back to! You have to go back to Chapter 5, moment 3 Snape's Office.

When doing part 2 of swelling solution, the thermometer shows the same range as the 'heat on medium temperature', so I don't know where the low temperature range is.

Heating was changed for the second part of Swelling solution follow the guides and the temperature bars on the screen they should work despite what it states in the book.

Everytime I get to the temperature part it goes up to green but then back down after I click the blue circle...how do I stop it from moving?!

You don't stop it from moving. You have to juggle the controls to keep it between the two bars!
You have to start with the red to heat it up quickly as soon as you get within the green zone switch to the amber or orange one this still heats the potion but a little slower you then have to juggle that one and the blue one which turns the heat off completely and so drops the temperature to keep it within the green area

I'm having some issues with the swelling solution. I did everything right up until I had to wave the wand, for whatever reason I couldn't figure it out, but then it just went on like I did everything correct. I came back in the time that it took for the potion to brew, but I keep getting a "NaN% Complete, come back later" prompt.

I had a friend who had this problem, she was using Safari, switching to Chrome cleared it up.

I finally got through the first part of the first stage of the polyjuice potion... but managed to spill the lacewig flies thing into the cauldron on the way back to the work bench! Is there a way to prevent this? A different way of holding the bottle? Do you hold the thin bottle neck, or the bottom larger part?

Solution: don't bring the bottle all the way back, set it down next to the mortar.

I had been receiving "Sorry, there was a problem with this page" when I attempted to access Potions Class. I sent a message to Pottermore/Sony and received a generic e-mail instructing me to solve it technically, which was incorrect.

The correct solution:
Purchase everything on the first year shopping list.
I had not done this and was halfway through The Chamber of Secrets.
ImageImageImageImageImage

ElmSparks30289
M.o.M. Employee
M.o.M. Employee
Points on hand: 0.00
Pottermore Username: ElmSparks30289

Re: Problems with Potions

Postby ElmSparks30289 » March 9th, 2013, 3:50 pm

Oh wow, thank you River! This will be helpful.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

Poppy
Head of Department
Head of Department
Points on hand: 9,206.00
Pottermore Username: dragonwing9

Postby Poppy » March 10th, 2013, 6:12 am

This is awesome River, thanks :) Maybe I'll finally be able to brew a potion other than cure for boils xD
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

Hermione Leviosa
Order of Merlin, Second Class
Order of Merlin, Second Class
Points on hand: 335.00
Pottermore Username: DragonProphecy118

Postby Hermione Leviosa » March 10th, 2013, 7:24 am

This is really good River. :)
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImage ImageImageImage click stamps

Heartrose
Wizengamot Warlock
Wizengamot Warlock
Points on hand: 2,189.17
Pottermore Username: HeartRose25916

Postby Heartrose » April 12th, 2013, 4:17 pm

Absolutely love this guide, River it is so useful thank you.

Just wanted to point out that with the new chapters, and the new ingredients we can collect for free, there are now some potions that you can make free of charge to save on buying ingredients...

These are Sleeping Draught, Herbicide and Swelling Solution. Should be useful especially for the betas who are running out of galleons now.

Viridis Aureus
Fifth Year Student
Fifth Year Student
Pottermore Username: YewHowl7257

Postby Viridis Aureus » April 13th, 2013, 7:38 am

I was wondering if I could ask a question about a potion issue specific to me? It only has to do with one potion though: sleeping draught. I get through the first half fine, but when I get to the second time it messes up each time I tell it to heat it, saying I overheated it when it has barely moved up. Is me using the high heat first the problem? I've been having this happen since the update, and I made a many of that potion before.

Edit:

Oh goodness, I was right about the heat thing XD. I started it on low heat and then turned it up and I finally made a Sleeping Draught again!
Image Image

Riverfirebolt
Deputy Headmaster - VIP
Deputy Headmaster - VIP
Points on hand: 882.26
Pottermore Username: RiverFirebolt9905

Postby Riverfirebolt » April 13th, 2013, 11:42 am

Heartrose wrote:Just wanted to point out that with the new chapters, and the new ingredients we can collect for free, there are now some potions that you can make free of charge to save on buying ingredients...

These are Sleeping Draught, Herbicide and Swelling Solution. Should be useful especially for the betas who are running out of galleons now.

Thanks Heart, never spotted this, added it to the first post, should be useful to help us save our galleons.

Viri, really not sure about this, I always start to heat on high now as if I start on low like I used to it tells me I have failed before I reach the green zone. Glad you have it sorted though, just shows how temperamental PM is and it is always best to try things both ways.

Viridis Aureus
Fifth Year Student
Fifth Year Student

Postby Viridis Aureus » April 13th, 2013, 4:23 pm

Well, I had it fail again after that, but at least I made a potion. Maybe there's something else I'm not noticing. It was the first one I managed to make in ages, so I was very excited! I just gotta keep trying I suppose. I'm still trying to get 50 of each potion made after all haha.
Image Image

Riddle7052
Seventh Year Student
Seventh Year Student
Points on hand: 5,044.00

Postby Riddle7052 » April 13th, 2013, 6:38 pm

This was really helpful! I have never managed to make a potion before, no matter how hard I tried. Now, it gives me a bit more encouragement to try again.

Viridis Aureus
Fifth Year Student
Fifth Year Student

Postby Viridis Aureus » April 14th, 2013, 2:48 pm

Oh! I think I might have actually figured out what it was this time! It won't work right on Google Chrome, but it works fine on IE. Maybe the internet brower I was using was the problem.
Image Image

Return to “Pottermore Archive”