How do you cast spells in Pottermore? - Indexed

All Pottermore-related archived topics can be found in here!

Moderator: Professors

CharmSpell199
Headmaster - VIP
Headmaster - VIP
Points on hand: 5,001.00

How do you cast spells in Pottermore? - Indexed

Postby CharmSpell199 » August 28th, 2011, 12:02 pm

The art of casting of spells is one of the most unique, entertaining and challenging features of the Pottermore experience. I think Pottermore translated this important part of the Harry Potter books to the online world quite nicely.

Each spell has its own rhythm and movement of the wand, unique arrangement of letters and speed in which the beam moves from letter to letter. In many cases the speed of the light even varies dramatically between the letters (practice some of spells in the Curses and Counter-curses for example to see what I'm talking about).

The basics of spell casting lies in the timing of the rhythm and movement and clicking the pulsating circular light beam at the right moment as it passes from letter to letter at various speeds.

How you cast a spell successfully and increase your Spell Cast Potency depends on the precise execution of all these integral parts happening within a short time period.

So how do you actually cast a spell in Potermore? Let's try the Fire-Making Spell Incendio which instructions are contained in The Standard Book of Spells (Grade 1) which conjures flames. This is also the only practice spell in this book so it's a great place to start. Here is a step by step breakdown on the mechanics of executing this spell.

1. After you click on the practice button you will see an arrangement of letters in a nice pentagonal pattern with I, O on the bottom followed by C, D and then N at the top. These are the emphasized letters that will be clicked on as the beam of light transfers from one letter to the other. The pattern the light will travel around these letters is in this order: I, C, N, D, and O.

2. Position your mouse over the first letter, the letter "I" in this case. Get ready to double click on the first letter and be ready to move the mouse quickly around the letters, but be prepared to move accurately to the next letter.

3. As you click on the first letter, "I", you will see a sudden ring of pulsating blue light that will quickly increase in width right after it is clicked. The goal here is to do a second click exactly when the ring of light is at its fullest. Once you click it a beam of light will begin to transfer itself to the next letter in the sequence.

4. You need to be on top of your toes here and already have your mouse pointer positioned over the next letter in the sequence. In this case the letter "C".

5. Once the beam of light hits the second letter, "C" you will repeat this same action and click on the circular beam of light when its at its fullest.

6. Continue with this pattern around the 5 letters, ending on the letter "O".

7. With this spell I noticed a slight, very slight increase in speed between the letters C and N and back to D. I don't know if there is much of a detectable difference but the speed is pretty constant on this first practice spell.

8. After your done casting the spell you will get a screenshot of your score called a Spell Cast Potency and an invitation to play Wizard's Duel.

DIfferent spells have different arrangements of letters and speeds of light movement so they will need some practice.

I would suggest getting your feet wet first and practice some spells in the other books before heading off to Wizard Dueling. Each spell has its own movement in which the timing will need to be mastered if you want to beat your challengers and get House Points.

One thing to note in which I think Pottermore didn't make entirely clear was in the spell casting instructions themselves that are displayed after you click on the practice button. If you read it verbatim, like I did, it doesn't actually mention that you should go from letter to letter clicking on the pulsating circular beam at its fullest strength. This might confuse people who will only end up clicking on the first letter.

Please post your thoughts about casting spells here. Are there spells that you've practiced that feel right to you? What is your favorite spell cast so far and why? Do you like the way Pottermore has scripted this part of the experience? Has anyone come up with some interesting techniques and strategies that could help someone actually execute these to perfection? Please share here.

CharmSpell199
Headmaster - VIP
Headmaster - VIP

Re: How do you cast spells in Pottermore?

Postby CharmSpell199 » August 28th, 2011, 12:05 pm

I'm really liking the Tongue-Tying Spell, Mimble Wimble. The jump from the "B" to the "W" is quite challenging with the mouse pointer. Has anyone gotten this one down yet?

AvisSpirit
Second Year Student
Second Year Student
Points on hand: 0.00

Postby AvisSpirit » August 29th, 2011, 3:21 pm

It is easier to cast spells with the keyboard. I tried once or twice with my mouse and it was a failure, but with the keyboard I felt like a spell master! ... Sucks I can't say the same thing about potions, he he he.

CharmSpell199
Headmaster - VIP
Headmaster - VIP

Postby CharmSpell199 » August 29th, 2011, 9:37 pm

AvisSpirit,

Going to practice keyboard spell casting tonight and make a comparison with the mouse. I'll post the results soon.

CharmSpell199
Headmaster - VIP
Headmaster - VIP

Postby CharmSpell199 » August 29th, 2011, 11:20 pm

A little comfortable using the mouse click action casting spells right now. I'm very curious to know if people here consider themselves a "mouse" or "keyboard" spell caster?

Fruiitcup
Third Year Student
Third Year Student

Postby Fruiitcup » August 30th, 2011, 4:37 am

I had originally thought that they keyboard was the only way to do it! (I probably didn't read properly >_<)

Now that I've tried the mouse-click way, I find it a lot better. It's easier than having to spread my fingers over the keyboard in preparation. I dunno, I just find I'm not scrambling to get to the next letter with the mouse.
Are you in Slytherin on Pottermore? Post here so you can access the secret House forum!
Don't hesitate to PM me if you need help with anything!

MagicGalleon4
M.o.M. Employee
M.o.M. Employee
Pottermore Username: MagicGalleon4 and CharmChestnut76

Postby MagicGalleon4 » August 30th, 2011, 11:27 pm

At first, I didn't get spell casting at all. Then I realized what I had to do. I always use the mouse pad (the one that comes on laptops) but that didn't work at all for casting spells, I couldn't move my fingers fast enough. I plugged in a mouse and my spell casting abbilities sky rocketed. I didn't even realise at first that I could use the keyboard.
Interested in a fun and original Hogwarts Roleplay? Check out our own PFF Roleplay here!

GalleonUnicorn37
First Year Student
First Year Student

Postby GalleonUnicorn37 » September 8th, 2011, 5:37 pm

I find the keyboard way easier! Maybe it's because I know how to type fast. Pressing the letters on the keyboard feels so much more natural to me than scrambling to click on them with the mouse!

RoseFirebolt77
Honorary Member
Honorary Member
Points on hand: 4,995.00
Pottermore Username: RoseFirebolt77

Postby RoseFirebolt77 » September 8th, 2011, 6:07 pm

Even though I'm a fairly good typist, I still much prefer to use the mouse for casting spells. I think it's because I don't have to concentrate on which letter to push.
Image Image Image

Patronus 27
Wizengamot Warlock
Wizengamot Warlock
Pottermore Username: YewFelicis81

Postby Patronus 27 » September 9th, 2011, 7:00 am

RoseFirebolt77 wrote:Even though I'm a fairly good typist, I still much prefer to use the mouse for casting spells. I think it's because I don't have to concentrate on which letter to push.

It's just the same for me. ;)

Return to “Pottermore Archive”