Information or Hypotheses on Creating Magic Items? - Indexed

Welcome to the PFF Archives. The archives contain all old topics which we don't want to delete, but don't need to be where they used to be anymore either.
The Archive contains all old topics which we still want to keep around. You can't post in here, it's only for reading!

Moderator: Professors

Melville's Book
First Year Student
First Year Student
Points on hand: 0.00
Pottermore Username: mugwumpcloak28097

Information or Hypotheses on Creating Magic Items? - Indexed

Postby Melville's Book » July 30th, 2014, 1:37 am

I am currently working on ideas for a Harry Potter fanfiction, and some of the things that have always interested me are how wizards and witches in the Harry Potter universe go about exercising their skills in magical theory. Among the most fascinating of the numerous applications of the more refined magical arts would be the creation of enchanted devices, the often quirky and sometimes incredibly powerful magical items of the wizarding world that have had magic woven into their very beings so as to serve as generators of their own magical energies rather than needing a wizard to repeatedly cast limited-duration spells upon them. Things like wizard brooms, invisibility cloaks, the wacky prankster items the Weasley brothers devise, and so much more! However, throughout my delving into the Harry Potter books, Pottermore, and in a bid of desperation the Harry Potter wiki, I found almost zilch covering the art of enchanting items with magic. I presume this scarcity of information is a mixture of JK Rowling's own aspirations to keep the process vague and the fact that enchanting items is likely too advanced a skill to be taught at junior magical scholastic institutions such as Hogwarts. Have I glanced over any useful information in regards to this? If there really is so little official info to go on, what kinds of hypotheses might you have as to how items are enchanted that I might be able to compare and contrast with my own inferences regarding the subject and perhaps enhance my own concepts in response to? Thank you in advance for any information or ideas you may be able to provide.

Rhynn
Honorary Member - VIP
Honorary Member - VIP
Points on hand: 2,956.00
Pottermore Username: SeerHawthorn125

Re: Information or Hypotheses on Creating Magic Items?

Postby Rhynn » July 30th, 2014, 10:14 am

There is indeed very little, if any, info available on the subject of creating magical items. It doesn't seem to be easy to do, however. Still, as you say Fred&George were able to create their joke items, and they were never shown to be exceptionally powerful or anything like that. Enough to impress Hermione, though.

So, I'd say... it's above a regular Hogwarts students' level, but not by much - depending on the complexity of the item to be created, of course.
Then again you could say potionmaking is also some sort of magical item creation, if you consider a potion an item. And there are obviously many different levels for that.

As to how the creation works... as you say, we have one clue to that: the magic is woven into their very beings. This gives me two ideas/possibilities:
1. always needing magical components (wand quality wood, potions ingredients, etc.) - this is obviously the case in wandmaking, potionmaking and the like.
2. spells need to be continuously used on the materials from the very beginning. Consider for instance a magical hat. The cloth, thread, etc. are enchanted from the start, and it's re-done every so often until it's well and properly imbued.

It's quite possible there's some sort of spell to 'bind' other spells to objects. We also know spells can slowly wear off after a while (example: invisibility cloaks. The only perfect one was the Deathly Hallow, the rest all deteriorates over time. If I recall correctly there were two main types: one which gets its invisibility properties from the material used, some sort of magical creature; and another with an enchantment on it. Both lost quality, as said by I think Moody).
ImageImageImage

Melville's Book
First Year Student
First Year Student
Points on hand: 0.00
Pottermore Username: mugwumpcloak28097

Re: Information or Hypotheses on Creating Magic Items?

Postby Melville's Book » July 30th, 2014, 2:05 pm

An astute observations in regards to Alastor's mention of fading Invisibility Cloaks and an interesting idea, that component materials might be involved in the binding of magic to objects to power them. However, the Deathly Hallow Invisibility Cloak was considered remarkable simply among items granting invisibility rather than being exceptional as a permanent-duration item, leading me to believe this is a factor of invisibility rather than all magical enchantments.

Likewise, your second idea interests me, though it may need to be amended a bit. You seem to be implying that the item is bound with magic as it's made, but this makes little sense as few wizards have the ability to make any sort of variety of muggle equipment to enchant. Similarly, I highly doubt that any member of the Weasley family has the time, money, and skill to build an entire muggle car to enchant... Or even the self-cleaning pots and pans for that matter. If you didn't mean to imply building the item from scratch, however, the hypothesis is solid; perhaps it's similar to making potions and you simply concoct a mixture that affects the item accordingly. Maybe you need to cast the spell on it many, many times so that the magic becomes fully ingrained in the object, but this has other curious implications in regards to brooms, given that independent flight spells are considered magically impossible (a rule violated by Voldemort, but the people making the brooms don't know that, so what spell do they use?). Maybe it's a mixture, then?

Perhaps there are ways to mix your own magics with physical substance and use them to draw out the inherent magic within specific shapes and materials of item. For example, rugs, brooms, and automobile engines might inherently be able to fly, which could be drawn out with magical processes, but you'd have far less luck enchanting, say, a fallen log or a pogo stick with the same effect. This would also explain how many enchanted devices seem to have magics that wizards can't replicate on their own, and why certain magical abilities are usually shown being emitted from the same types of item (for example, we never see a wizard turn themselves invisible, and all the shown invisibility items have been cloaks). Some have unusual properties given their folkloric applications, but I presume those are either enchanted with regular spells or, to be more exotic, perhaps it would be possible to draw that "inherent" magic from one object and put it in another. That'd be wonky, though I find it unlikely, since the only canonical event that supports it is the Weasleys' flying car turning invisible, and even that might not have anything to do with it. Perhaps the type of metal or paint on the car had inherent invisibility properties. Who's to say?

Humorously, this appears to support JK Rowling's style of plot-based magic rather nicely; such a system has structure, and there's certainly a process happening, but which items might have certain inherent properties is flexible and arbitrary enough that it does little to prevent the introduction of any item that might be appropriate at the moment.

Thank you kindly for your input. You've given me much to think about.

Return to “Cellar Archives”