Adoptables Websites 6 - Indexed

Welcome to the PFF Archives. The archives contain all old topics which we don't want to delete, but don't need to be where they used to be anymore either.
The Archive contains all old topics which we still want to keep around. You can't post in here, it's only for reading!

Moderator: Professors

PotionScale
Wizengamot Warlock
Wizengamot Warlock
Points on hand: 0.00
Pottermore Username: PotionScale190

Adoptables Websites 6 - Indexed

Postby PotionScale » April 6th, 2013, 11:49 am

All right, time for a new topic before the discussion about new release starts (if there will be one this weekend) :D

CHECKLIST & WISHLIST SPREADSHEETS

Rhynn wrote:I was just wondering if there's anyone else here besides me and Dia (which I found out only yesterday) who go to websites where you can adopt virtual creatures, a.k.a. adoptables. I go to three of them and on two of those I help out with making sprites as well ^_^

The one I've been on the longest is DragonCave, I recently got over 1000 dragons there :D (my scroll)

One I've been around since it's been made (it's still very much in development, but it's already playable) is Project Nyoka. I made two of the creatures you can get on there ^_^ (my menagerie)

And lastly, Chicken Smoothie. I haven't been on there for long yet and I mostly just try to collect everything, since that's about all you can do with them, there xD The art is nice though.

So, am I the only one, or are there more people who go to those websites? Maybe we can also post our things that need views etc. here so we can help each other out a bit :)

PROJECT NYOKA MENAGERIES
Rhynn
HazelMagic
DawnMagic40
Netz
OakNight
dia
DawnPumpkin33
Isobel

How to Raise your Dragon

Spoiler: show
We should have thought of writing this ages ago... but better late than never, so here it is: a guide on how to raise your dragons on DragonCave (usually shortened to DC)!

Getting eggs
Before we can start raising dragons, we need to find some dragons. Makes sense, no? On DC, getting a dragon egg is as simple as clicking an image. Which actually sounds simpler than it often is, because you're usually not the only one trying to get that specific egg!

But let's not get ahead of ourselves yet. On DC, there are several ways of acquiring eggs:

1. Stealing them from the Cave
When you're on the dragoncave.net homepage, you should see a few images which are links to several parts of the website, below that a bunch of text, then a row of links and then a map. The row of links and the map is where you'll want to focus in order to get eggs. Eggs are found in different biomes:
-Alpine
-Coast
-Desert
-Forest
-Jungle
-Volcano
The row of links above the map, as well as clicking the right areas on the map itself, will take you to the biomes. Just click the one you want!
Once you're in a biome, you'll either see some eggs (up to three) or the message that there aren't any eggs there right now (which will usually be accompanied by a link to the Abandoned Page, which we'll get to later). If there are eggs, they'll look black with a red question mark on them. All eggs have a description under them - find out which egg is which yourself, or check out the Dragoncave Wiki. Some eggs are rarer than others, so keep hunting to find all of them! Also, each biome has a different selection of eggs, so you'll want to hunt in all of them.
Eggs in the cave will never have parents, so they are referred to as Caveborn (CB)

2. Taking them from the Abandoned Page
I briefly mentioned the Abandoned Page (or AP, for short) up above. All eggs which have been abandoned by the previous owner, will end up here. There's currently a huge backlog of eggs waiting to appear on the AP, so most of the eggs here are very low on time - what that means exactly you'll find out later. Most eggs here have parents, although you'll find the occasional CB egg here as well. Lineages can be quite interesting, especially as a more experienced player. Many players hunt on the AP exclusively!
To get to the AP, you either click the link in a biome if there's no eggs in it, or you go to the home page and find the link which says 'you can take one of those instead', which will be towards the end of a text about a huge pile of abandoned eggs.

3. Breeding them
The third method of obtaining eggs, is by breeding them. Most dragons can be bred to produce offspring (if you're lucky) and a VERY large amount of dragon eggs are produced this way daily (and most of them will end up on the AP). I'll get to how exactly to breed dragons later, so for now it's enough to know it's a possibility.

4. By Teleporting eggs
On DC, there is one dragon species which has the ability to teleport eggs to other scrolls. This is how eggs are traded and gifted. On the DC forums there are many topics which deal with trading and gifting, and here on PFF you'll often see members post about having eggs for others to take. A link will usually be posted where you can see what you'd be getting exactly, and by typing your password in the box provided for it, you can take the egg.

As a new dragon owner, you can take up to four eggs at a time. I recommend starting with just one and see if you can keep that one alive; if you're successful you can take as many as you're comfortable with. Once you reach a certain amount of adult (or frozen - we'll get to that later) dragons, you'll receive a bronze trophy which increases your egg limit to 5. There's another trophy, silver, to raise it to 6, and finally one (gold) to raise it to 7. There's also a limit on the amount of hatchlings you can have at a time. Or, to put it differently, there's a limit on how many growing creatures you can have on your scroll at any one time, and only a few of those can be eggs. The limits:
-No trophy: 12 growing things in total, of which a max of 4 can be eggs.
-Bronze trophy: 15 growing things total, of which a max of 5 can be eggs.
-Silver trophy: 18 growing things total, of which a max of 6 can be eggs.
-Gold trophy: 21 growing things total, of which a max of 7 can be eggs.
When you can't take any more creatures at the moment, you're considered to be 'scroll locked' or simply 'locked. If you have the maximum amount of eggs but can still take hatchlings, you're considered to be 'egg locked'. You can get unlocked by either getting rid of growing creatures, or waiting for them to grow up.

When you take an egg, it will be put on your scroll, which you can get to by clicking the 'scroll' link at the top of the screen, under the logo. And that's the basics of getting an egg!

Raising creatures
Now that you have at least one egg, let's see how we can raise it to an adult!

To hatch and grow up, eggs and hatchlings will need a certain amount of views, unique views, and clicks. How many depends on the breed and the individual egg, as well as its other stats. It's a very complicated thing which no one knows the algorithm to exactly, because that would be considered reverse engineering, which is against the DC rules.
What you need to know, is that eggs and hatchlings NEED views to survive. Views are added each time someone looks at your egg. If it's that person's first time looking at the egg (or hatchling), it will also register a 'unique view' (or UV). If the ratio of views to unique views is too big, your creature can get sick. I'll explain sickness later.
Clicks aren't necessary to raise a creature, but they do really help. The more clicks you have, the fewer views you need. Clicks are gotten the first time someone clicks on your egg or hatchling. Every IP address can click a unique creature only once each day.
Adult or frozen dragons don't need any attention anymore.

So, how do you go about getting those views? Since they need at least 1000, usually a lot more, you'll have to use hatcheries, also known as fansites. You enter the codes to your dragons on them, and they'll start acquiring the stats they need. Refer to the first post of this topic for a list of hatcheries. As a beginner I highly recommend starting off with the Eggs Around the World, since it has a system in place which prevents sickness. Make sure to use at least one other fansite along with it, though, because otherwise your dragon won't get the stats it needs.

Each egg has a total of 7 days to hatch. If it hasn't hatched within 7 days, it dies (and you'll have an eggshell on your scroll for two weeks at least). Eggs cannot hatch before they reach 4 days 0 hours. Once an egg has reached that point it can hatch, and if it has enough stats it usually will do so immediately. If it doesn't hatch by then, you can put it in ERs. Many hatcheries have these, and eggs in ERs will gather more views and unique views (and often clicks) than non-ER eggs.

By the way, if you see cracks or even a huge gaping hole in your egg, don't worry - that just means it's getting stats and is on its way to hatching!

Once a creature has hatched, you have a further 7 days to get it to grow into an adult. Keep giving the hatchling stats, and after a few days you'll see it change a little. It will usually grow wings, but there are some species which change in other ways. This is its last stage before growing up, and at this point you can tell which gender the creature is. Gender is important for collecting and breeding; in most dragon species, the male and female have different images. And for breeding, you need a male and a female.
Once again, hatchlings cannot grow into adults before they reach 4 days 0 hours. And again, from that point on, it can be put into an ER for more attention.

Help, my egg/hatchling is sick!
When the stats aren't quite the right ratio, your creature will get sick. Often this happens if you put an egg in hatcheries the first 24 hours of its life - it's smarter to wait until 6 days 0 hours and THEN put it in hatcheries. On eggs, sickness is called 'softshell'; in hatchlings it's just called sickness.
If a creature is sick, find the link that says 'Actions'. You'll get to a page where you can do lots of things to the creature. Find the link which says 'Hide' and click it. This will put it in a cloud of fog, preventing it from getting more stats until you un-hide (called 'unfog') it. Leave it fogged at least until the text about sickness (on the page you get if you click your egg or hatchling) is gone - often leaving it a few hours longer will be more effective in preventing it to get sick again.
If you want to unfog your creature, go to its actions page again and click the 'Unhide' link.

And that is how you raise dragons!

Other things to do with your dragons
Now you've got the basics! But there's much more to dragoncave. I've already mentioned a few things above here.

First, let's have a look at an egg's Actions page:
-Kill: this will kill your egg. If en egg has sufficient stats (and a huge hole in it) it is possible to use this to force the hatchling out of the shell before it reaches 4 days 0 hours, but this is very risky as it usually kills the creature instead. Killed creatures take up a slot for 24 hours, and will stay on your scroll for 2 weeks. I advise very much against using this method to get rid of your creatures. THIS CANNOT BE REVERSED!
-Name (greyed out): Can only be used on hatchlings and adults
-Describe (greyed out): Can only be used on frozen hatchlings and adults
-Abandon: Get rid of the egg by putting it on the AP for others to pick up. This is the best method of getting rid of your eggs if you don't want to trade them. Often other people will be very happy to take whatever has been abandoned. Keep in mind you can not abandon CB eggs until they have been out of their biome for at least 5 hours.
-Hide: Will fog your egg to take away sickness

Now let's see what a hatchling's Action page says:
-Kill: See the explanation for the egg actions
-Freeze: This will 'freeze' the hatchling, which causes it to forever stay a hatchling. It won't need any stats anymore, but it will never grow into an adult. This means it can never breed or perform any of the actions that can be performed on or by adults. THIS CANNOT BE REVERSED! Most people who freeze dragons, do so to have a full collection of dragon species.
-Name: Allows you to give your hatchling a name. The name will stay when it becomes an adult, but you can always rename the dragon if you want. It is impossible to name a dragon the same as another dragon on DC; for instance, the name 'Dave' is taken, but if you'd make it '(your name)'s Dave is Awesome' there's a high chance it'll stick.
-Describe: If the hatchling isn't frozen, this will be greyed out. See Describe action for adults.
-Abandon: If the hatchling is frozen, this will be greyed out or not even on the page. See the explanation for the egg action.
-Hide: If the hatchling is frozen, this will not be available. See the explanation for the egg action.

Finally, adults have actions as well:
-Kill: See the explanation for egg actions
-Release: If you no longer wish to own a dragon, you can release it. This doesn't kill it, but instead releases it into the wild. It's like the Abandon action, except adults can never be taken by anyone else. THIS CANNOT BE REVERSED!
-Name/Rename: Allows you to name or rename a dragon.
-Describe: All dragons have a breed description, but if you want to make them more unique, you can write a description for them yourself as well. Descriptions must always fit with the standard breed description, so for instance a wingless breed cannot suddenly be described as having or growing wings. After submitting a description, other users can comment on it. However, the description will not be posted unless a moderator approves it. This can take several months, so be patient!
-Breed: This is an action that keeps many people coming back to DC. With this, you can breed a dragon to another dragon, for the chance of producing offspring. Through this action, people have created some amazing linages. Often, the trade value of an egg or hatchling will depend on its lineage; amazing lineages are worth more than common or easy to make lineages. Not all breeds can breed with each other; for instance, pygmy dragons can only breed with other pygmy dragons, drakes can only breed with other drakes, and two-headed dragons can only breed with other two-headed dragons. Nevertheless, the possibilities are virtually endless.
-BSA: A few dragon species, have a BSA, or Breed Specific Action. These are actions only dragons of that species can perform and they are generally very helpful to your gameplay. I won't tell you WHICH dragons have BSA's, but I will tell you the currently existing BSA's:
  • Bite: Turns eggs into the species which has this BSA. Has a chance of killing eggs, and of turning the egg but abandoning it
  • Earthquake: Affects ALL the eggs you have. It violently shakes the ground, either hatching or killing (or not affecting) the eggs. Very dangerous action, similar to the Kill action.
  • Expunge: Allows you to get rid of a certain species of dragon which likes to stick around...
  • Fertility: Fertilizes other dragons, increasing the chance of having them produce an egg when breeding. It only increases the chance of producing an egg, not of getting the breed you want!
  • Incubate: Takes one full day off the timer for eggs. Invaluable for experienced players, but for new players it's better to have the normal time limit for raising an egg. Does not work on hatchlings.
  • Influence: Influences eggs to become the gender you want. Which gender depends on the gender of the dragon that uses the action. So if you have a male dragon influence an egg, the chance of the dragon in the egg becoming male increases. This has a chance of failing, however!
  • Splash: Like the pokemon move, it doesn't do anything. It has a very small chance of giving you a badge, though.
  • Summon: If you have three certain dragons, you can use this to summon a very special, limited dragon. Very difficult and can cause a lot of frustration.
  • Teleport: The only method of trading and gifting to specific people that exists on DC. The dragon teleports an egg or hatchling (or multiple eggs and/or hatchlings) to someone else's scroll.

And that's pretty much it! The rest is all just experimenting and playing; as you get more dragons, you'll learn more and more about it.

If you want a set of useful dragons with BSA's, just ask in this topic! There's plenty of experienced players who are willing to breed or catch some for you!
Image Image Image Image Image

Riddle7052
Seventh Year Student
Seventh Year Student
Points on hand: 5,009.00

Re: Adoptables Websites 6

Postby Riddle7052 » April 6th, 2013, 12:07 pm

Whoo hoo!!! Second post!
Hopefully I can have enough room on my scroll if they have a new breed this weekend. Anyone want a CB magi?

Riv
Order of Merlin, Third Class
Order of Merlin, Third Class
Points on hand: 22.19
Pottermore Username: WildRiver35
Location: Sneaking around the Ministry on an undercover job from RWP

Postby Riv » April 6th, 2013, 4:17 pm

Oooh, new release about to come? Man, I gotta toughen up my reaction time then xD Can't wait! =3
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImage
Slytherin ExtraordinaireNo.1 Fan of the Slytherin PrinceEstonian For Life
~Writing ~ Tumblr~

KCMarauder
Wizengamot Warlock
Wizengamot Warlock
Points on hand: 602.47
Pottermore Username: CharmCastle16609

Postby KCMarauder » April 6th, 2013, 4:20 pm

As if we are on a 6th topic :D

Woop hope there is a new release! I have had to stop grabbing eggs with little time anyways I've used all my freezes lol and im pretty much done with collecting adults apart from some rare ones.
Image Image Image

Hermione Leviosa
Order of Merlin, Second Class
Points on hand: 335.00
Pottermore Username: DragonProphecy118

Postby Hermione Leviosa » April 6th, 2013, 9:44 pm

Shiny new topic. :D
I am so curious as to what the new dragons are going to look like. :P
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImage ImageImageImage click stamps

Rhynn
Honorary Member - VIP
Honorary Member - VIP
Points on hand: 2,956.00
Pottermore Username: SeerHawthorn125

Postby Rhynn » April 7th, 2013, 12:45 am

Well the release has happened! One is breed only (white x daydream) and the other drops in the volcano. And one of them will have a BSA, though we don't yet know which one.

...now if only I could catch some xD I bred the daydreamxwhite already (I think people are nicknaming them Sweet Dream) but I'll have to wait for the drop to try getting the other one!
ImageImageImage

KCMarauder
Wizengamot Warlock
Wizengamot Warlock
Points on hand: 602.47
Pottermore Username: CharmCastle16609

Postby KCMarauder » April 7th, 2013, 4:25 am

Ooooh white x daydream sounds pretty, I will have to check but im sure I have a CB white and daydream, though not sure on genders. Deffo have a CB daydream.

Looking most forward to a new bsa though :D will get on my laptop as soon as I get home!
Image Image Image

Patronus 27
Wizengamot Warlock
Wizengamot Warlock
Points on hand: 0.00
Pottermore Username: YewFelicis81

Postby Patronus 27 » April 7th, 2013, 4:34 am

Urgh, I have three white dragons and one daydream dragon, but all are males..... Never mind, I will breed those sooner or later...
Yesterday I was able to pick a turpentine egg!!

Rhynn
Honorary Member - VIP
Honorary Member - VIP
Points on hand: 2,956.00
Pottermore Username: SeerHawthorn125

Postby Rhynn » April 7th, 2013, 5:48 am

One of the new eggs (the breed-only one), for whoever claims it first :)

Claim my eggs/hatchlings!
ImageImageImage

Hermione Leviosa
Points on hand: 335.00
Pottermore Username: DragonProphecy118

Postby Hermione Leviosa » April 7th, 2013, 8:34 am

The blue ones look like they are going to be pretty. :)

If anyone is having a hard time snagging the new eggs I have five and I am willing to give away 2. :)

ImageImage
Post here if are having a hard time getting one and you want one.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImage ImageImageImage click stamps

Return to “Cellar Archives”