GIMP Tutorial 1: Simple Blending - Indexed

Welcome to the PFF Archives. The archives contain all old topics which we don't want to delete, but don't need to be where they used to be anymore either.
The Archive contains all old topics which we still want to keep around. You can't post in here, it's only for reading!

Moderator: Professors

deaniebeanie
Unspeakable
Unspeakable
Points on hand: 4.21
Pottermore Username: SeerCharm17829

GIMP Tutorial 1: Simple Blending - Indexed

Postby deaniebeanie » February 21st, 2013, 8:54 pm

GIMP Tutorial 1: Simple Blending
Hey there everyone! I decided to go with this topic as the first tutorial because you're going to be doing it a lot when making signatures. I've gotten some comments on how good my blending has gotten, but in reality, I've turned it into such a simple task that it doesn't deserve any praise compared to those that are much more intricate with their blending. :I This is what has gotten the job done for me over the years though, so I hope that you guys will be able to use it!

Alrighty, so the first thing that we want to look at when making signatures is blending two images together. There are more advanced methods of doing this, but I like keeping things simple so I don't have much to fix if I mess up.

After you've opened up GIMP and made a new document (mine is the PFF standard of 400 x 150), you want to open up your two or more images By going to "Files ---> Open as Layers".
Using the "Open as Layers" option saves you the time spent on opening it up as it's own seperate file, copying, and pasting it as a new layer.
The ones that I will be using in this tutorial will be these two (put in spoiler for size):
Spoiler: show
Image Image

A couple of minutes of tinkering and resizing with the wonderful Scale Tool, I've got my images placed where I want them on two separate layers, but they don't look too spiffy right now.

That's when you take your handy dandy eraser tool. Notice how down at the bottom of the toolbox the opacity of the eraser is turned down to 40? You can adjust the opacity of your eraser to whatever you like - even to 100 if you wish - but between 20% and 40% opacity is my favorite for blending. I like whenever it kind of fades into each other, but it's all based on your preference!

Now you just start erasing away at the layer that is on top - in my case, the picture of Hermione is the one that is the top layer. Here is what my blending looked like after I was satisfied. It was quick and simple, not even five minutes taken. In fact, I spent more time adjusting where I wanted the picture of Hermione to be. :lol:

I didn't like how different in color the two images are in comparison, and I also didn't like how dark the overall image is - so I'm going to lighten it up a little bit. Using my Color Picker Tool, I picked a color around the dark edges of the Polyjuice Potion instructions image and got this really nice brown. Then I made a new layer and labeled it "Brown Color Fill". I used the Bucket Fill Tool and splashed the whole layer with the brown.
ImageImage

Then I played around with the layer options. After a couple of minutes of experimenting, I ended up really liking how light and simple the signature looked with "Addition" set to 60% opacity.

I threw some text on it and presto - a simple yet elegant signature was blended.

Alrighty everyone, now it's your turn to try it out - and don't forget to post your results! :P

Heartrose
Wizengamot Warlock
Wizengamot Warlock
Points on hand: 2,189.17
Pottermore Username: HeartRose25916

Re: GIMP Tutorial 1: Simple Blending

Postby Heartrose » February 22nd, 2013, 2:35 am

Deanie, do you realise how long I have wanted to be able to do this in the rubbishy free photoshop I have been using?

Finally getting to grips with GIMP thanks to this and your walkthrough.

Got an image sorted so quickly using this tutorial... not posting it yet as the colours are really off but I know what I am doing now, will post it later after I try again and get the colours sorted but thank you this is awesome.
ImageImageImageImageImage

Elena
Unspeakable
Unspeakable
Points on hand: 0.00
Pottermore Username: ProphecyLight25033

Postby Elena » February 22nd, 2013, 9:54 am

Me to Heart!! But GIMP is great to have when you can't afford to buy a nice program :)

Deanie you are awesome! Thank you for this tutorial. I've wanted to figure out how to blend like that for a while.

I will attempt a sig with it later :D

Avis
Head of Department
Head of Department
Points on hand: 4,962.00
Pottermore Username: AvisHallow15706

Postby Avis » February 22nd, 2013, 10:19 am

hmm.. anyone know why or how my tool bars disappeared? lol .. when I openned up GIMP last night, they weren't there and I don't know how to get them back :cry: ... I wanted to try doing this tooooooooo!!!!

RoseFirebolt77
Honorary Member
Honorary Member
Points on hand: 4,995.00
Pottermore Username: RoseFirebolt77

Postby RoseFirebolt77 » February 22nd, 2013, 10:51 am

^ This has happened to me a few times, too. To get your layers box back, go to Windows > recently closed docks. If your toolbox is missing, go to Windows > Toolbox (or press Ctrl+B)
Image Image Image

Avis
Head of Department
Head of Department
Points on hand: 4,962.00
Pottermore Username: AvisHallow15706

Postby Avis » February 22nd, 2013, 10:55 am

Ahhh, thanks Rose!!! I have a MAC so hopefully it's sort of the same :D

also glad to know it's happened to someone else too, and I'm not going crazy ;)

ElmSparks30289
M.o.M. Employee
M.o.M. Employee
Pottermore Username: ElmSparks30289

Postby ElmSparks30289 » February 22nd, 2013, 12:22 pm

Deanie, what gimp version do you have? My gimp only has one window (mine is version 2.8.4). When I try to use the eraser tool, it doesn't let me choose the opacity, and just just erases where I drew completely..
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

Draconis
Seventh Year Student
Seventh Year Student
Pottermore Username: DraconisStorm

Postby Draconis » February 22nd, 2013, 1:23 pm

Thanks! Great tutorial! Apparently I've been doing this already without knowing what it's called xD But I learned new stuff and improvised a little (as I always seem to do while following tutorials... )
This is what I started with (I blended the district 3 seal to the background, but I'm not exactly sure how. It was an accident xD)

And after a while of thinking what to do next I blended a circuit board to background making it almost completely transparent. I was worried about it being white at first but it actually fits the signature quite well for my liking.

I'm going to try blending two images that are next to each other later if I get any good ideas. Yours looks really good!
Seriously, thanks! I've been hoping to learn how to use Gimp better for a long time : )
Image Image Image Image
Image Image

RoseFirebolt77
Honorary Member
Honorary Member
Points on hand: 4,995.00
Pottermore Username: RoseFirebolt77

Postby RoseFirebolt77 » February 22nd, 2013, 1:46 pm

ElmSparks30289 wrote:Deanie, what gimp version do you have? My gimp only has one window (mine is version 2.8.4). When I try to use the eraser tool, it doesn't let me choose the opacity, and just just erases where I drew completely..

Deanie, Ray, and I all just downloaded GIMP this week, so we have the newest verstion (2.8.4, like you). Try going to Windows>Dockable Dialogs>Tool Options. A window should pop up that has your eraser options, like: opacity, size, etc. My Tool Options got separted from my Toolbox, too, and that is what I had to do. I'm still not sure how to merge the two boxes back together. :?

EDIT: Just figured out how to do it: Click on where it says "Tool Options" at the top of the Tool Options box (to the left of the little arrow box). Then, just drag it to the bottom of the Toolbox; it should highlight a bar at the bottom of the Toolbox. Drop the Tool Options box there and it will merge with the Toolbox. ;)
Image Image Image

Heartrose
Wizengamot Warlock
Wizengamot Warlock
Points on hand: 2,189.17
Pottermore Username: HeartRose25916

Postby Heartrose » February 22nd, 2013, 2:20 pm

Elmo, mine only had one window as well, I didn't like it as Deanie's tutorials had three, and I was finding it hard to follow. if you go to windows at the top and uncheck single window mode it should revert to look like Deanie's . Hopefully. mine did anyway.

And thanks Rose my options had come unstuck as well and just could not figure how to get it back.

Return to “Cellar Archives”